Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a pick up GVWR is 9900#. I don't require a DOT# for that. I do haul a trailer that puts my GCWR into the DOT# category, although still relatively low. Fine, I've had a DOT# for years. Doing my biennial update I changed to interstate carrier from intrastate carrier. I have a supplier in a neighboring state from whom I may pick up material with the trailer. This would be a fairly rare occurrence. The material would be my businesses private property.

So filling out the biennial update has triggered my state (NY) to kick me an email indicating I need to do the Unified Carrier Registration. Anyone here who could enlighten me on the UCR requirement? Ex. I pack up truck and trailer in my home state and cross to neighboring state and perform a job. I bring my tools, equipment and material I need for the job. Does this require UCR? Similarly I drive to a neighboring state and purchase material for my business use (not as a reseller in an inventory type setting), put it on my trailer and return to my home state and project. Required UCR?

I can answer my own question and say yes, but maybe I am reading too much into the rules? Little regulations like these (for a very small business) cost me too much time trying to figure out. My UCR fee would be $59/yr and I am sure I have wasted more than that much time thinking about it, but not really because I am not compensated 24 hours a day. I just don't enjoy sending payments in ignorance.

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The UCR is a waste of time and money. But I also have to fill out the form and pay up every year.
I have no idea where the money goes, other than some bureaucracy that does nothing but send notices that I'm overdue with the filing.
Reading up on it the fee projections are around $411 million annually. That's a decent sized nut. Big OTR carriers obviously carry the brunt. Prior to this change I made, I never thought of myself as a carrier since everything I carry is mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts