Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys have gone door to door looking for new business? This can sometimes be a humbling experience but it works!

Do you go yourself or send employees out?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have thought about it, but it was way easier when I was in the landscaping business, cause I could see some tree's that need to be toped, or some bushes that need to be trimmed, and then the approach was way easier cause I know they needed the work.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I only go door to door if we are working down the street and I see something wrong with a house in the neighborhood. Door to door is about the #1 method of storm chasers. I'm not saying if you go door to door you are a storm chaser, but if the shoe fits ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not kocked on someone's door looking for work but we do talk to the neighbor's of our customer's if we see them.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Since we are roofers, we are high up in the neighborhood. We get to see much of what is wrong with the neighborhood. Like I said if I see something is all messed up I may knock on the door, drop a card in the mail box or maybe a flyer.

We tried passing out flyers in the neighborhoods we were working in but I already work 50 hrs a week, and I just don't have the extra 3 hours a day to pass out flyers.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, only 50 hrs. a week? It only takes me 3 1/2 days to do that much work not to mention goofin' off on all of these BB's.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Oh I don't count these BB's as work :) I'd work more but let's examine my schedule here...

Work 50 hours.
School 6 hours not counting travel
home work: 6 hours
girlfriend: 40 hours :)

Having money in the bank and a beautiful girlfriend: priceless

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Grumpy said:
Having money in the bank and a beautiful girlfriend: priceless

how about money in the bank, gorgeous young wife, and 3 beautifull kids?
more priceless? no, just less time....:)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Try a commercial GC for hours sometime. There have been several weeks during job startup that I've spent over 100 hours (at jobsite) setting primary control. Middle of project is about 60 hours and during TCO it's went back to 100 hours. Of course that is stretched over 6 days.. sometimes 7. Only once did I put in 100 hours in 5 days - I'll do everything I can not to have that happen again.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
hatchet said:
Only once did I put in 100 hours in 5 days - I'll do everything I can not to have that happen again.

I remember when I was in woodworking, we were short on guys and we were trying to finish the lockers for the L.A. Lakers, and I did something similiar to the 100 hrs in 5 days. I know what you mean, never again!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Lemme see, another 13 hrs. today and I still have the paperwork to do, maybe hit the sack by 11. Wedding tomorrow, 2 hrs. out of town and hit it again Monday.
I haven't slept much since Vietnam. For you with young kids, save, save, save. My two are in college and it costs. costs. costs. The babe de jour is always asking why we don't have any money when we are making so much. Answer; Education, insurance, retirement, business and household expenses = money all gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At one time or another we've all put in those weeks for hell. On the other hand its nice to see that bonus check. Kinda makes it worth the stress.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sure there's been weeks I've spent 14 hour days consistently for weeks but I was talking about my current schedule.

I'd never work salary. I'd rather collect unemployment. That's a free ticket for your boss to take advantage of you. I think everyone should be paid based on performance in one way or another. I get paid commission and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, it all depends on who your boss is. One of the best jobs that I ever had was salary plus commission. 60/40/10. I worked 4 1/2 days a week and my worst takehome was $660.00, best $1250.00 and this was in the late 70's!
The job also provided complete ins. and 2 wks. vacation.
The good old days!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I get a wee bit of salary because I do more than just the sales, I do alot of the marketing management and office management. The salary is nothing to speak of. I get commission and that's that. NO vacation no insurance. NOr do I want any.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Working salary isnt that bad if you get done earlier or are between jobs :) .... but I think those days of getting off early or "between jobs" is over....but always remember the money is great but there isnt a price tag on quality time with your families, and there will be a day that you'll wish you had spent more times with them....whats the old saying? "I work to live, I dont live to work." :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts