Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple painting door threads and this is how we do it.

Two 2x4s laid down wide on the floor. One 2x4 at the top with one screw going into the top of each door. The doors tilt back with the top 2x4 being supported against the wall with only the pressure of the leaning doors. If you lean them just right you can get more of the bottom than you would think. Space them out enough to get your arm in between with your gun and hose.

Wall Room Floor Architecture Ceiling

Room Wall Architecture Glass Door

Property Wall Room Floor Door

Property Room Wall Interior design House

Remove from 2x4 and touch up top and bottom. It won't be much.

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
Great paint job, but man I try everything I can to lead my clients away from those 6 panel doors these days. But it doesn't always work. That's exactly how my painter does his doors too.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Gawd, every method posted is better than what I do. What else am I doing the hard way?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great paint job, but man I try everything I can to lead my clients away from those 6 panel doors these days. But it doesn't always work. That's exactly how my painter does his doors too.
Thanks! They are not my favorite. This actually was months ago in a mother in law house. She will live out her life then they will rent it out. Point being the fanciest thing in the house were the cabinets. They weren't "top choice" either.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really does take a lot of fuss out of it. Easy to set up by yourself also.

Stack all the doors leaning against the wall then put the 2x4 on top of them. Take a door to the other end of the 2x4 and screw it to the top while leaning it. Fill in the space with the rest of the doors.

The only really touch up that will be needed is where the 2x4 were. You really have to think about getting low with the gun to get a good coat on the bottom so there may be more hand painting that.

Other than hanging doors from an eye hook from the top, I can't think of a better all around way to paint doors.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
At what stage of construction do you try to paint the doors. Just after primer but before trim? Thanks for posting.
I don't know how Frank does it, but If I were the carpenter, I'd be po'd if the doors were painted before hanging! :eek:

They should be painted after the trim carp is done on his first trip.;)
Joe

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I do it just like Frank, except on the floor I use a 45 rip so there's just a knife edge contact.

In the shop, I have a 16' stick of base on the top, attached to a shelf suspended in the middle of my shop... a long screw keeps the top board from making contact..

I'll see if I have some pics.

I hang 'em first, make any adjustments for floor height, then remove and paint, and rehang..

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I do it just like Frank, except on the floor I use a 45 rip so there's just a knife edge contact.

In the shop, I have a 16' stick of base on the top, attached to a shelf suspended in the middle of my shop... a long screw keeps the top board from making contact..

I'll see if I have some pics.

I hang 'em first, make any adjustments for floor height, then remove and paint, and rehang..
I like your thinking regarding the 45 rip and keeping the top board off the door with a long screw. It would take a lot space to do 25 doors and it seems like you'd be fighting dust spraying that much in one small area??? When I sprayed this weekend I had the airless cranked up all the way with a FFT 310. Maybe I'm over doing it?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At what stage of construction do you try to paint the doors. Just after primer but before trim? Thanks for posting.
During trim if possible due to the fact the doors usually are the same color and sheen.

I used a 515 on these with about half pressure. Graco190(LTS?). The smaller rigs in my opinion do better with the doors and trim.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
CrpFrk.... Guess not because your finish looks great.... it's just I'd thought you'd get a lot of overspray with the doors that close... plus isn't it difficult reaching in to spray and keeping correct gun angles???

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CrpFrk.... Guess not because your finish looks great.... it's just I'd thought you'd get a lot of overspray with the doors that close... plus isn't it difficult reaching in to spray and keeping correct gun angles???
:thumbup:

I wouldn't say difficult. You do need to be mindful of where you are at with your angle, where is the hose, how close you are to the other door, etc.

You do it enough and you get used to it like anything else.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think any system will have plus and negatives. For us, actually I should say for me because very rarely do I have a helper with the doors, this is the best. The system you speak of there is no way I could move the doors by myself.

Plus I just don't think moving anything with a fresh coat of paint is a good idea.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
During trim if possible due to the fact the doors usually are the same color and sheen.

I used a 515 on these with about half pressure. Graco190(LTS?). The smaller rigs in my opinion do better with the doors and trim.
I'm glad to know that for next time. I was using a fft 310 at full blast in order to move fast. I bet the 310 puts a ton more overspray into the air than the 515 at half power.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I think any system will have plus and negatives. For us, actually I should say for me because very rarely do I have a helper with the doors, this is the best. The system you speak of there is no way I could move the doors by myself.

Plus I just don't think moving anything with a fresh coat of paint is a good idea.
I had my wife helping me move the doors in the other thread. Talk about stressful.... :blink: Thankfully we made it through without any mistakes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts