Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where I could locate a square mortise drill bit, 5/8 inch? the kind for the old fashioned mortise door lock/knob assemblies?

thanks.
debbymoge

·
Registered
493 Posts
uh, in the middle of a set of mortise bits from Jet, Delta, irwin... or just the 5/8's from any woodworking supply house. Though the only thing you need is a 5/8's bit and a chisel for the way the old timers did them. saves all that pesky setting up the mortising machine or drill press to take a door blank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uh, in the middle of a set of mortise bits from Jet, Delta, irwin... or just the 5/8's from any woodworking supply house. Though the only thing you need is a 5/8's bit and a chisel for the way the old timers did them. saves all that pesky setting up the mortising machine or drill press to take a door blank.
I was hoping for one because of the door I'm trying to put this into. Were it wood, it would be easier. New door, unfortunately already drilled out for a modern knob/bolt set. I have to first fill holes, then redrill. Makes it hard to chisel.

Thanks for the names. I'll take another look.

·
Banned
669 Posts
I love my Mortise Machine but I only use in production ... never for one door.

·
Banned
669 Posts
.... But for several new doors I buy them prepped for locks ... anyone wanna buy a Mortise Machine?

·
Banned
669 Posts
Hey Nathan!

How's about a Doortalk.com or a doorfitter corner or somthin'? I hate (sniffle) having such a narrow trade ... and I'm always in other peoples way on the jobsite ... us Doorfitters get no respect!

I'm gonna get wasted now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts