Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to go over some good approaches to door knocking or sales pitches. I have been in business for 5 years and usually work off leads and word of mouth, so closing a sale isn't too hard for me. However, I am trying to put together a good sales team. Any help on pitches and door to door??

·
Wood Butcher
977 Posts
What are you pitching?
You say Professional Contractor.
Tile Contractor, flooring contractor, electrical, hvac,plumbing, Get where Im going?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Your trade, your ideal customer type, and the neighborhood all make a difference as to how you approach a cold call.

You should look at your personality, think about the type of people you can honestly "connect" with, and start there.

A sales pitch for one guy may not work for other guys. I have worked with a "chipmonk on speed" and have seen them successfully use tactics that I could never use. There is a place for the "brown-noser", the "problem-solver", the "used car salesman", the "flirt", the "begger", the one call closers, the low-pressure type, and on and on.

The point is that you need your own pitch based on your personality, and how you want to position your company. If you try to sell outside of your personality, many folks will sense some level of insincerity. Find neighborhoods that would likely appreciate your type, and work the types of neighborhoods where you have higher close rates

·
Interweb Lead Guy
6 Posts
Cold calling for sales, per se, is tough. I would recommend going door to door for leads, i.e. canvassing, as opposed to going door to door trying to have the sales conversation immediately. I know I've never bought gutters from a guy coming to my house trying to sell me gutters, but I wouldn't mind committing to an estimate at a later time if gutters were something I needed... make sense?

·
Registered
132 Posts
People come to the door in most cases predisposed to say no. You have less than 10 seconds in most cases to get their attention. If you can engage them, you have a chance to make your real pitch.

First thing is, make absolutely certain your door knocker is well groomed, professional looking, good posture and a smile. I don't know what you're pitching so it is difficult to offer specific advise. I like going to the door with a colorful brochure or our "pitch book" that I can open to show them. I want something with pictures to draw their attention to give me a chance to engage them further.

How about some kind of coupon? Something to the effect that if the Homeowner lets you provide an evaluation you give them a $10 Starbucks card? Or if they sign up, a $100 discount coupon for upgrades?

I think to have a successful Sales Team long term, you better augment your overall marketing/sales program with other forms of advertising to generate some leads. Internet, door hangers, job signs, trade shows, etc.. Not many people can deal with the door knocking, day in, day out over the long haul unless there is some other incentives to help with it when the doors are getting slammed in their faces.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
when you knock on the door, make it really loud, so homeowner knows right away that you are there to talk business and not to ask them how's life

you can also mention an estimate fee :)
Not sure I would knock REALLY loud as that might make the homeowner think you are mad or crazy. Heck they might even greet you with a gun in hand as you may have scared them. :thumbsup:

·
Roofer with a vision :)
232 Posts
Not sure I would knock REALLY loud as that might make the homeowner think you are mad or crazy. Heck they might even greet you with a gun in hand as you may have scared them. :thumbsup:
IDK man ... up here homeowners typically don't have guns and all are politically correct :laughing: ... but i'm sure that down south some sleep with them for comfort...

anyway, if you knock loud, they will know that you mean business, and they better have that grass painted green! :whistling

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree with one of the posts above....canvassing is a lead generation tactic not a sales closing technique. It is a way to meet people that may have a need for your services but whom did not know about you. Therefore, you can talk to them about coming back later to discuss there needs.

But closing a sale the first time you knock on someones door is extremely rare.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Not true. You knock on doors to close sales.

You can act casual, act like you only want to meet people, and act like you are not there to close a sale, but this is the worse way to do canvassing. If you use the 'I don't care to close a sale' approach, as suggested, I guarantee you will be passing up a higher percent of sales that you could have closed than the percent of people who will call you back.

"Hello, mam! I'm Raymond the Rain Rutter Man. I noticed your the rain pouring from your roof is eroding your flower bed, the water is damaging the paint on your cladboards, and I would love to give you a free estimate since I am already here. It will take only a few minutes."

You don't want the customer to tell you he doesn't have time, so make sure you tell him it will take only a few minutes.

The following pitch is longer than I like and is designe so you tell the customer rather than ask.

"Hello, mam! I'm Alex from Acme Construction. I stopped by to introduce myself, to tell you about the beautiful room additions we build, kitchen and bath remodels. In fact we provide every type of construction service and since every customer has a wish list, perhaps, you can tell me which project is on your wish list and I will be glad to give you an estimate, since I am already her."

The following is my favorite and it worke the best for me. I do absolutely no introduction.

Knock Knock

""Hello. Can I help you"

"Hello, I was going by your home and noticed you need a new roof."

That is all it takes. The customer is either interested or he is not. You can do your introduction after you get a positive response.

Don't over-complicate your pitch.

That is all you need. They are interested or they are not. Don't stick out your hand with a business card when the customer answers the door because:

handing someone a business card is like telling them to call you later. You want the sale now and you don't want a call if you don't have to.

the customer will make believe he is looking at your card and you can't get him focused

the customer will not listen to you as he is reading the card

the customer will use the card against you as he tells you he will call you later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best pitch is Not to close at the door. Homeowners are turned off by people coming around trying to sell the something. People want to buy, not be sold. That can come off as high preasure. I would rather introduce myself,company, and engage in conversation with them. People buy from people they like.

Canvassing is the Best Lead Source. None of us are really in the Contractor Business. We are in the Lead Business. Without a steady supply of Leads, we are in trouble. Canvassing sucks. Canvassing Works.

My pitch kinda sucks, "hi, sorry to disturb you. My name is_____ and I am from_______company. Don't worry I'm not here to sell you something, I am just doing some advertising in the neighborhood. We have/Would like to do some work here. The reason I knocked on your door is(I noticed, I wanted to make you aware,Your Neighbors are having same type of work,etc.) and we are giving free estimates for that. I thought maybe you would appreciate one. Now with that in mind "Is Mon good or is Tues better for you? alternative choice close

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
No Way Jose!

The best pitch is Not to close at the door. Homeowners are turned off by people coming around trying to sell the something. People want to buy, not be sold. That can come off as high preasure. I would rather introduce myself,company, and engage in conversation with them. People buy from people they like.

Canvassing is the Best Lead Source. None of us are really in the Contractor Business. We are in the Lead Business. Without a steady supply of Leads, we are in trouble. Canvassing sucks. Canvassing Works.

My pitch kinda sucks, "hi, sorry to disturb you. My name is_____ and I am from_______company. Don't worry I'm not here to sell you something, I am just doing some advertising in the neighborhood. We have/Would like to do some work here. The reason I knocked on your door is(I noticed, I wanted to make you aware,Your Neighbors are having same type of work,etc.) and we are giving free estimates for that. I thought maybe you would appreciate one. Now with that in mind "Is Mon good or is Tues better for you? alternative choice close
Terrible! Why beat-around-the bush. Never say you are sorry and never say you are not trying to sell something. Of course, you are there to sell something.

Your statement that people want to buy and not be sold is out of context. The main goal for canvassing is to generate sales and it is unnecessary to take the long road. You are forgetting about the high percent of people who want to be sold. Canvassers are fishing for the customers who 'really' want something, but these customers just didn't make the call for what they want. You are over-complicating the process. You really are wasting the customer's time when you take the time to apologize and tell them you are not selling something.

I am going to sell to a homeowner with only one word and this is very possible with the right mannerisms and maybe even a little smile.

Canvasser: "Roof?"

Customer: "I've been thinking about getting a new roof"

Canvasser: "I'll give you an estimate right now."

Say only one word and you can open a conversation that will lead to the closing of many sales.

Homeowners are no more turned off by canvassers than any other type of marketing strategy. You will get homeowners who complain about hand-delivered brochures, telemarketing, and even direct mail. So, canvassing is no different. You also get homeowners who love to chat with canvassers and they love to do business with companies that canvass.

I can think of many reasons people prefer do do business with canvassers rather than using contractors from other types of advertising and these include:

Customers are afraid to call contractors for many reasons, but when a canvasser knocks, and the customer likes him, the customer's fears are relinquished, and now it is not necessary for the customer to have to take a chance by calling someone he never met.

Many customers want and need a service, but they keep procrastinating. Along comes the canvasser and the timing is very convenient

The customer has wanted to get his work done for several years and his schedule is so busy he never wanted to make an appointment. Along comes the canvasser and now the customer doesn't have to call for an appointment. The canvasser shows up without notice, the customer has a few moments to spare, and the customer is very willing to give the canvasser a few moments that can save him several hours of scheduling, juggling, and waiting.

You have the customers who don't even know they have a problem until the canvasser arrives. The canvasser exposes potential problems, closes the sale, and the customer is very grateful for the canvassing that occurred.

Use less words. Many things are sold with absolutely no words. A kid comes to your door selling chocolates. He does not have to say one word and he does not have to apologize for disturbing a homeowner. The kid holds the chocolates in front of the homeowner and the homeowner either wants the chocolates, or he politely says, "no thankyou". Don't over-complicate canvassing with too many words.

You have only a few seconds to get the customer interested in talking to you. In these few seconds, you either need to look like Brad Pitt, be funnier than Steve Martin, be as charming as Don Juan, or you need to have some very choice words about your service, and as few words as possible.

Get the customer's interest, first, with the least amount of words, and then you can talk your head off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok if you want to get technical 3 simple steps. Interupt their thought process. Engage in conversation. Present offer.

Although it will have to depend upon the size of the sale as to whether I would try and close the deal and not a appointment

Suppose job was small. Go for it.

Big job. 5k. 10k. 15k. 20k
I would then close on appointment.

2nd close. Commitment on company

There are a few more steps but I was talking about canvassing.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Try to eliminate appointments

Ok if you want to get technical 3 simple steps. Interupt their thought process. Engage in conversation. Present offer.

Although it will have to depend upon the size of the sale as to whether I would try and close the deal and not a appointment

Suppose job was small. Go for it.

Big job. 5k. 10k. 15k. 20k
I would then close on appointment.

2nd close. Commitment on company

There are a few more steps but I was talking about canvassing.
We sell almost every job without appointments and many of the jobs are $20,000 to $30,000. There is no reason to give the customer the unnecessary chance to get cold feet. I estimate that we sell 3 to 4 times more jobs on-the-spot because more than 50% of the appointments that are set get cancelled. This is the reason we train our canvassers to close sales and most sales are closed within 45 minutes from the time they knock on the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow 20-30k in 45 minutes. That's impressive. I could really learn a thing or two from you on that.

My approach to Canvassing has always been a relationship building process. When I tell them I am not there to sell them anything, I mean it. I only book the appointnment and someone else runs the lead. I guess maybe thats a hang up for me. I really dont like to pitch and close at the door other than close on the appointment.

I have had sales where I knocked the door and closed the deal myself a few times.

I would agree with you when you say that 50% of the appointments you book cancel. That seems to be the industry average. The call center still works those leads though.

I have been in this industry for 20 years now and I believe it is very difficult to have Salesmen go door to door and Close the sale. I know there are plenty of folks out there who do exactly that.

Plain and simple, Canvassing really does work

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can act casual, act like you only want to meet people, and act like you are not there to close a sale, but this is the worse way to do canvassing. If you use the 'I don't care to close a sale' approach, as suggested, I guarantee you will be passing up a higher percent of sales that you could have closed than the percent of people who will call you back.

"Hello, mam! I'm Raymond the Rain Rutter Man. I noticed your the rain pouring from your roof is eroding your flower bed, the water is damaging the paint on your cladboards, and I would love to give you a free estimate since I am already here. It will take only a few minutes."

You don't want the customer to tell you he doesn't have time, so make sure you tell him it will take only a few minutes.

The following pitch is longer than I like and is designe so you tell the customer rather than ask.

"Hello, mam! I'm Alex from Acme Construction. I stopped by to introduce myself, to tell you about the beautiful room additions we build, kitchen and bath remodels. In fact we provide every type of construction service and since every customer has a wish list, perhaps, you can tell me which project is on your wish list and I will be glad to give you an estimate, since I am already her."

The following is my favorite and it worke the best for me. I do absolutely no introduction.

Knock Knock

""Hello. Can I help you"

"Hello, I was going by your home and noticed you need a new roof."

That is all it takes. The customer is either interested or he is not. You can do your introduction after you get a positive response.

Don't over-complicate your pitch.

That is all you need. They are interested or they are not. Don't stick out your hand with a business card when the customer answers the door because:

handing someone a business card is like telling them to call you later. You want the sale now and you don't want a call if you don't have to.

the customer will make believe he is looking at your card and you can't get him focused

the customer will not listen to you as he is reading the card

the customer will use the card against you as he tells you he will call you later.
Love the simple pitch!!

KD

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just don't do what the College Painter guy did at our place. Walked up our driveway right past my work truck which had ladders on the racks and a big paint roller logo on the canopy window, came up our sidewalk, saw that we were seated at the table eating dinner, and then he then rang the bell and tried to sell me a paint job. Jeeesh! :censored:

·
Hair Splitter
18,326 Posts
Most contractors will not succeed at door to door sales or lead generation. It's just not how the majority of the public chooses a contractor. Word of mouth and referrals are the way to grow your business. Get your friends and family to get the word out and be patient. You would have better luck advertising on CL.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts