Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A quarter turn only moves the throw 3/8" at the most, dead bolts go an inch. You could either weld more on the dip of the throw or move the latch out. Or use a 2 3/4 throw in a 2 3/8" backset and pad out the edge and cover it with an astragal

Why would Ace know more than Schlage?
My guess security is not an issue with a gap that big
Welding sounds like the most presentable option out of those. I may take them back to the machine shop. And I'm not saying Ace would know more, I just thought they might have another option from a different brand. Schlage would only know of their products, of course most likely those would be the only ones compatible anyways. Just a thought. And yes, security is not a concern, I'm not even installing the deadbolts that came with the handles.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
let me know how extending the bolt goes .i came up with this a few times building gates . they need more space expansion and contraction .

·
Registered
661 Posts
Shim your doors out behind the hinges. Next time make tighter opening by angle cutting door edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Shim your doors out behind the hinges. Next time make tighter opening by angle cutting door edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good suggestion, but I need all the gap I have for the doors to open properly. If I shim them even 1/16" they won't open. You're right though, I should have beveled them slightly.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
What about making some type of wrought iron handle with an exposed latch, it would fit the door especially with the hinges you used

41 - 45 of 45 Posts