Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm usually the framer and the trim guy :whistling
Yea Mike, you go guy! At least when you say "Leave it for the finish guy" you know who has to fix the flub.

My customer right now has explained to me exactly how he wants things done and I tried to show him that it won't look right in the end. As I have learned from past experience, give the customer what he wants and you might get to fix it later after he realizes you were right to begin with.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I don't often get to work in new construction homes but I am right now and need to do a bit of ranting.

I have windows tilted on the face where they are 3.5 inches inset on the bottom and 3 3/4" at the top. Oak moldings just don't bend that far. My customer actually worked with me today and saw every obstacle I had to overcome. He did this because when I looked over the job I refused to give an estimated price and instead went with an hourly rate. At the end of the day my customer was fully aware that his builder slammed things together and he now has to pay the price to make it all come together
Gary
When framing new construction,we have to play close attention to some of the material thicknesses.
We've had 2x6 that measure any where from 51/2" to 5 3/4".
The longer legnth material is sometimes wider than the precuts.
Makes it a boitch to stay on plane sometimes,and have planed down the
material for just this reason.
It doesn't always come out perfect,but will make it easier to trim later.

Like Gene said:
a little shimming, a little carving of the sheetrock, a little tapered ext jam etc,,,,.As long as you get paid, meet the challenge head on, and make it look sweet. G

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
We've had 2x6 that measure any where from 51/2" to 5 3/4".
I very very rarely see a 2x6 that is anything but 5 1/2". On the other hand, anything wider than a 2x6 is anybodies guess. 3/8" variance in a single bunk is not uncommon.

Gary, I've worked in houses where the stud framing was completely random- some were as close as 2", some were over 16" between studs, with no reason for the off layout. The homeowner decided to put in wainscoting after the framers left, so we had to run blocking over the whole house. It was a 10,000 square foot house, and we cut hundreds and hundreds of blocks, and at most there were 4 stud bays on proper layout. My boss thought we could just cut a big pile of blocks at 14 3/8" and make them fit. I explained to him that the blocks for a particular wall would run 13", 15 1/4", 14" 12", 15", 16", 13 1/2", ect, so what was the point of cutting 14 3/8" when they weren't going to fit anywhere? I'm just glad I wasn't hanging the sheetrock...

Trimming the windows was even more of a challenge.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
As my work progresses slowly, it is the other trades that are proving my point.

The kitchen cabinets being installed by the cabinet supplier don't fit and the counter tops that are square had to be fudged to make them fit a badly out or plumb wall. The installer said he sees it all the time but this is particularly poor. They have to make up thicker back splash pieces to hide the sins.

The tile guy has had similar issues with walls 45 inches at the bottom and 45 1/2 at the top. His prep work became an issue that added a full day to his completion date and in places he has a up to a full inch of mud behind his durarock to make things plumb. As he states, "my materials come square and my lines are expected to look square in the end so the prep work I do is my savior".

We had a load of T&G knotty pine delivered the other day. Not a particularly poor load of wood but there sure are a few pieces that will be great for bending around the corners. I guess if the framers use these twisted and bent/bowed pieces of 2X6 that this is where the problems begin.

We ran short of 1 X 6 pine and the home owner made a run to the local big box lumber store to get 4, 1 X 6 X 10 boards. I told him to be sure he got good, straight boards with clean edges as we were boxing in lolly columns.
He returned and had a bunch of real garbage boards and said it took him over an hour to find them and they were the best of the bunch.

My 5 year old nephew has one of those toys where he has to put different shaped blocks into the corresponding holes. His dad says he keeps wanting to put the square one through the round hole but it won't fit and it bugs the boy to no end. I told him if the boy wants to be a carpenter, he'll learn!:thumbup:

Gary

21 - 28 of 28 Posts