Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use 1/4" Luan for underlayment, under ceramic tile, in a kitchen/entry are? I know about the tile-backer, hardie, etc.
That is all we used YEARS back, just wondering if any still did it, or what?
Just a thought, had a tear out today, with Luan underlayment, what a pain in the butt!!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We did it once, nailed it down like crazy but missed an area and wood pushed up tile 1/2" the next day, so we nailed it down scraped the thinset and reset it. It's no way to install pretty much any flooring.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Multiply or integraply, but not luan. Staple it off with narrow crown staples every 4-6", closer at the joints.

I wouldn't use it under ceramic tile, but never had a problem with it under vinyl and vinyl tile.

·
Windwash
595 Posts
Does anyone use 1/4" Luan for underlayment, under ceramic tile, in a kitchen/entry are? I know about the tile-backer, hardie, etc.
Just a thought, had a tear out today, with Luan underlayment, what a pain in the butt!!!
We just tore out 450 sq feet of ceramic on top of 3/8 ply (not luan) underlayment on an 80's house this week. You could practically shovel it right into buckets it came up so easy:thumbup:. The 3/8 ply was glued with yellow glue and stapled to the 3/4" OSB subfloor underneath. That was a bear to get apart :mad:. I haven't seen anyone tile on ply in 8-9 years at least.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm sure they do.... then leave town.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Multiply or integraply, but not luan. Staple it off with narrow crown staples every 4-6", closer at the joints.

I wouldn't use it under ceramic tile, but never had a problem with it under vinyl and vinyl tile.

I still use Multiply when it's needed. Doesn't scare me at all. Just try to get off a piece of tile stuck to ply with Kerabond/keralastic. Wet areas, I Redguard the ply (like in front of a shower/tub.)

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Doesn't TCNA still allow direct to exterior grade ply? I remember reading the spec once with fairly wide eyes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes. Laticrete is actually quite robust in their advocacy for going over plywood instead of backer board. The reason is plywood adds rigidity to the assembly whereas CBU does not. Keep in mind, they want you to buy their 30 dollar a bag stuff to do this. Also, Laticrete doesn't make CBU. :)

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Even the best thinset is going to lose plasticity over time. Even the best plywood panel is going to expand and contract at a level wildly different than ceramic tile. It seems a fool's gambit in the long run.

Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hey Dave,

I have never used it under ceramic. But I'll tell ya what, I have torn up a bunch of it with ceramic over it doing kitchens and bathrooms. A lot of the floors were still in great shape with no movement or cracking and weren't the easiest things to get up.

I remember one in particular in a kitchen. They glued the luan with wood glue to the plywood subfloor. It took a lot of time to get that mess up!:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
Better check your luan for actual type1 performance. The only 1/4" underlayment around here that claims to be type1 isn't luan, and it's way expensive

All the luan around here is 5mm and even if it's sold as underlayment, it will delaminate of it gets wets.

Less than 10 years ago you could get luan with good glue - I'm not finding any any more.

·
Windwash
595 Posts
So that tile job lasted. 25 years ?
Not sure how long the tile "job" lasted. The tile itself lasted 25 years sitting on top of the plywood with gravity holding them down. Quite a few of them weren't adhered to the substrate for the full 25 years.

I don't know at what point a lot of them came loose and cracked but there was hardly any thinset stuck to the plywood, it all came off with the tile. My helper used a 3' crowbar and just pushed it up and down the rows of tile popping them up like shoveling snow.

I'm sure there are plenty of long lasting tile jobs over plywood but this wasn't one of them.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I don't know of any flooring other than maybe carpet that will have a warranty if installed over today's luan. Now 25 years ago, luan was a far better product.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My case was they were getting a divorce and selling the house, I did not sell the job or material.
The wife was trying to sell us the husbands 5000$ saltwater tank for 500$, I declined I'm not into violence.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts