Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Arm Joint Skin Leg Shoulder

1 3/4" roofing nail this summer.

Skin Joint Hand Scar Arm

I pulled this one myself. 2 1/2" roofing nail was stuck to the bottom of a roll of I/W. Caught the roll and the nail drove through the joint of my wrist. In the front, out the side. No permanent damage thank God.

Nails hurt a lot less than you think they should.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oh hell, those injuries look nasty. I never understood news reports of men going to the hospital with a nail through their skull? I mean how does that happen? Until I worked my first siding job. Corners man, I think it happens on corner boards. One man shooting at the wrong angle and it hits another right through the head.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I think it's great that the first thing we do when we shoot ourselves is reach for the phone to snap a picture:laughing:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Nail injuries usually happen the same way: rushing and not thinking. That's what happened with my leg. Wrist was because the job site wasn't kept clean.

I know one guy who is blazing fast. He's shot himself at least 3 times with a framer as far as I know, one buried so deep in his thigh bone they had to remove it surgically.

Slow makes smooth, smooth makes fast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
I think it's great that the first thing we do when we shoot ourselves is reach for the phone to snap a picture:laughing:

After my mishap the other day, while I was getting stitched up, Doc asked if I wanted better lighting to snap a few pics... :laughing:

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
Ashamed to say I did that just a few months ago while building some interior walls. Right in the thumb too! I was cussing up such a storm, the roofers stopped and came inside to check on me:laughing:. I didn't think anything would bring a roofing crew to a grinding halt on a sunny day in November:eek:.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,855 Posts
Got a buddy I used to frame with who hasn't evolved past Neanderthal, great in a fight, dangerous on the job. Dude was tacking green for garage door and dropped the gun to his thigh, cut nail that didn't skip bone, the case hard buried into bone just above the knee, he starts saying "check this out, this wont even come out with a hammer."

Long story short, it took pulling with a set of kleins, probably worked on it for ten minutes trying not to break the nail and when it pulled it took a chunk of meat... He never stopped saying "huh huh that's pretty cool, that's the best one I've seen"

I've shot myself but damn that was hard on everyone but him. Needless to say he shot himself every job and would at times leave it in to show me so I could rate it, pulled one out of his freaking cheek before, the leg was the worst ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts