Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much longer before this building is destroyed by the weather?

I drive by this place a couple of times a week. A little history from the public on-line permit history

GC= owner
7/06 Permit for foundation and footing repairs - work completed 10/06

10/06 City requires new permit for additional work not shown on original
plans. No inspections recorded on this permit. Permit expires 10/08

1/08 Complaint, work beyond scope

10/08 New permit drawn

No work was inspected on the electrical permit drawn 7/06, expired 7/09

Wow, I don't know whether to feel sorry, or just think that this is Darwinian action on the contractor scale. The neighbors must be real happy

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a mess. If I was a neighbor and had to look at that for 3 years I would be seriously thinking of having a bar-b-que late one night.

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
I have seen that happen with bankrupt builders. A company in my town went bankrupt about three years ago and the owner committed suicide. The city formed some group to deal with all the unfinished inventory left in the wake of this huge failure. I remember driving around in some of the neighborhoods seeing several partially framed houses, empty foundations, and a few that were closer to the finish. The partially framed houses were just as rotted or more rotted than those pictures. Most of them had no roof. There were at least six partially framed houses within a six block radius in one neighborhood alone. First time I seen anything like that and hopefully the last.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have one of these not to far from my house. Much larger home though. It has a roof, felt paper on the sheathing, all windows installed, and some doors. At one point I think it had wire up for stucco/cultured stone. If I remember correctly the foundation went up in either 04 or 05. Anti-wingnut, how did you access the on-line permit history? I wouldn't mind checking up on this house.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
The place next to where we're working is a work in progress shack like that i'll get some pics monday. 2 years ago after 10 years of fights a local township finally got ownership of a disaster that they demo'd. I got to walk through it i've never seen anything like it in my life. Walls on top of walls on top of roofs with more walls on top, how this guy kept it all from falling in on itself is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anti-wingnut, how did you access the on-line permit history? I wouldn't mind checking up on this house.

It depends on the locality. Around here (they make coffee, software, and big airplanes here), most places are computerized in permit and inspection request, and site history. We can also get septic and side sewer, and assessor history on line. What you can do depends are your town

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not In My Neighborhood!

In my neighborhood an empty place like this tends to attract crack houses, homeless, and vandals. One of them would have burnt it down within the first year.

Dang, that is a sad comentary on local society.

datajam
dir4construction.com

·
Registered
685 Posts
Where is this building located?
(didn't see a location in your profile)

street joints make it look like peel and stick roadway!

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Here's what we deal with around here....

notice the gutter thats been hanging for years....

pretty sure thats a couple rails to a bed frame holding the completely legal 6 inch casing/wood stove chimney nice and plumb.

Hey atleast they have a dish for tv though. Cant tell from this pic but theres a 4 inch hole above the door on the second floor, been watching birds fly in there the last couple weeks.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Because the water has no place to go but down and into the foundation right?
Partially, the gutters and leaders for that design will be a challenge, and the roof water will definately end up heavy on the foundation. The main problems are all the shed roofs, it looks like the framer did not know how to frame a hip or a gable:laughing:. If you look at the shed roofs they pitch back into each other creating some kind of half ass valley, judging from the general appearance of the job if snow builds up on those roofs ice daming will occur, and water will get in. G

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Partially, the gutters and leaders for that design will be a challenge, and the roof water will definately end up heavy on the foundation. The main problems are all the shed roofs, it looks like the framer did not know how to frame a hip or a gable:laughing:. If you look at the shed roofs they pitch back into each other creating some kind of half ass valley, judging from the general appearance of the job if snow builds up on those roofs ice daming will occur, and water will get in. G
That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts