Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, okay....i know i should go to a DIY forum....but thought i'd ask anway. if you had a question about your water/sewer line...i'd try to help....ooookay, i have a dining/living room addition on my house,that was built in 1982 by the original owner. it has a parquet wood floor. we have AC, so humidity shouldn't be a problem, but coupla weeks ago, i had an area about 4' wide, the length of the room, approx 20' long....that it appears the adhesive let go, and the tile buckled. i got out a heat gun, scraped adhesive off back of tile, sanded down all tile edges, and the floor....cleaned up edges of tile still in place. i'm ready to put them back down, and the guy at local lumber yard says that liquid nails is a good product to put them back down with. he bs'n me? anything else i should be doing here? what are the odds that the rest of the floor heaving?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
okay, okay....i know i should go to a DIY forum....but thought i'd ask anway. if you had a question about your water/sewer line...i'd try to help....ooookay, i have a dining/living room addition on my house,that was built in 1982 by the original owner. it has a parquet wood floor. we have AC, so humidity shouldn't be a problem, but coupla weeks ago, i had an area about 4' wide, the length of the room, approx 20' long....that it appears the adhesive let go, and the tile buckled. i got out a heat gun, scraped adhesive off back of tile, sanded down all tile edges, and the floor....cleaned up edges of tile still in place. i'm ready to put them back down, and the guy at local lumber yard says that liquid nails is a good product to put them back down with. he bs'n me? anything else i should be doing here? what are the odds that the rest of the floor heaving?
What did the old adhesive look like?
Were there voids/ skips in it?
Is the stuff on either side still
firmly stuck down?
Was there a spill, or is it in front of a
south facing window?
Be good to know what happened to it
before you put it back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before re-gluing, you need to determine the cause of the problem.

Was it a faulty install?

What is under the addition? A crawl space? A slab? Is it a moisture problem?

Fix the problem first, then fix the floor itself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did the old adhesive look like?grey, about half of it came off without use of the heat gun, it was loose.
Were there voids/ skips in it? in the adhesive? some was applied VERY thick, some places just a skim of adhesive.
Is the stuff on either side still
firmly stuck down? guess i don't know what you're asking here...the subfloor is nailed plywood? that's very solid yet
Was there a spill, or is it in front of a
south facing window? well, there are sliding glass doors/windows all around the whole room, some face south, yes no spill that i'm aware of
Be good to know what happened to it
before you put it back.
thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before re-gluing, you need to determine the cause of the problem.

Was it a faulty install? LOL, i dunno, i dig ditches....it's held now since 1982...looked damn good

What is under the addition? A crawl space? A slab? Is it a moisture problem?
it's built on a crawl space, that's insulated, and this room is air conditioned

Fix the problem first, then fix the floor itself.

Good luck.
guess my first inclination is, and i have no clue....is maybe the adhesive ran out of life? like i said, some of it just falls off the tile/subfloor without being heated. i don't think it's a humidity problem, it's always been air conditioned. thanks for the input.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I meant is the parquet one
either side of the problem area
still firmly stuck to the subfloor?
We'd just like to save you the grief
of doing it over again with the stuff
right next to what you're fixing now.
I think construction adhesive will work
for you (maybe wait for a real floor guy
to answer) but I'd prefer PL Premium.
It's polyurethane, and doesn't harden
or turn brittle.
Maybe the old adhesive just was too thin
got brittle, and maybe something
moving over it or whatever just
caused it to fail?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Day you're welcome over here anytime! :thumbsup:

Just don't be tracking mud in. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
Almost seems like something swelled and/or settled. Perhaps the floor was installed too tightly and extreme temperature caused some movement?
I would doubt that it was do to adhesive failure in such a large area. Surely another area of the floor would have lifted too.
Maybe pop off a piece of shoe molding and see if the floor is cut tight at the edge. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
neighbor was just here, he pointed out....look there should be at least 1/2" gap around the perimeter, your baseboard ought to just barely cover it up....it's tight against the wall. no room for expansion? i AIN'T takin the whole floor up. maybe it's time for carpet.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
neighbor was just here, he pointed out....look there should be at least 1/2" gap around the perimeter, your baseboard ought to just barely cover it up....it's tight against the wall. no room for expansion? i AIN'T takin the whole floor up. maybe it's time for carpet.
You like buying tools? :cheesygri

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, may as well close this thread.....after neighbor left...wife came in, gave me "the look"....said, you know, you're damn good at what you do. you really know how to do this? i said quite reassuringly, i thought i could figure it out. she says...i've got xyz flooring company coming over tomorrow morning to look at it, they just redid our friends floor....i got FIRED!!!!

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
What type of tile are you talking about that can be removed using a heat gun?:)

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Thanks, I missed that.:)

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the tile were already loose, just pick them up....and my guess is they're about a 1/4" thick...i just used the heat gun to removed the adhesive from the backs of the loose tile and the subfloor....they're about 6" square

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
well, may as well close this thread.....after neighbor left...wife came in, gave me "the look"....said, you know, you're damn good at what you do. you really know how to do this? i said quite reassuringly, i thought i could figure it out. she says...i've got xyz flooring company coming over tomorrow morning to look at it, they just redid our friends floor....i got FIRED!!!!

So..... :laughing: your wife fired a hack floor guy???? :w00t:

·
New and Remodel Carpentry
93 Posts
I guess you could always teach your wife a lesson by tearing off the back of the house with the equipment you run and then tell her that you thought the floor guy was gonna cost to much:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts