Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I try to do one charity job each year. working through the NGPP, I have been able to get SW and others to provide the paper/materials for free, and usually only spend one day on the job. If its large, I recruit other NGPP hangers to come help. It always looks good in a press release.

Last charity job I did, wallpapered a mobile exam room for underpriviledged kids, the Healthy Kids Express:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I try to do one charity job each year. working through the NGPP
PWG- Will the NGPP identify the need or do you have to do that? I'd like to do the same kind of thing but the local sewer contractor's association is very hard to engage in such an activity.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
No, I usually pick the job from my own calls/leads. If I get a call for a small, decent job, such as the one I posted about above, and I think I could capitalize on the client/business, then I offer my services for free if they will write up and submit a press release in the local papers.

The project should be a high-profile or well known orginization. Like a children's hosp., Ronald McDonald house, local shelter for battered women, etc. etc. Habitat for humanity wouldn't fit the bill because it is chock full of people donating time, you are a little fish in a big sea on those projects. Pick one that will make you alone shine.

I use my SW rep and persuade them to donate wallpaper, primer, paste, etc. They usually have no problem with it. I always make sure they are credited for the materials in any marketing done.

I use a little proposal that states I will provide my services for free, with all regular warrantees, if THEY submit a press release to 2 newspapers within 30 days of the project. And these big organizations with a PR staff will write up something 10 times better than I could. These look great in a sales presentation or portfolio.

I have gotten many referrals from these jobs, plus it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :cheesygri

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have gotten many referrals from these jobs, plus it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Karma is a very real thing.
I know salespeople that would never consider donating. they are the same salespeople who will not do "small" jobs.
If they knew what they were missing, they would kick themselves.
when you take on small jobs or donate your services, and you put 110% effort into it like it was a multi million dollar job, you will get more out of it in the long run then the multi million dollar job.
plus the warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have volunteered for many projects but never for fame or fortune. It has always been for people falling on hard times, most are elderly and most tend to be in parts of town where you have to have one guy just keep an eye on the trucks so that you leave with all of your tools.
Funny sidebar to this is that I have actually recieved leads from these people. 5 yrs. ago I helped a woman who had sustained semi-major fire damage. Her grandson owns a lawn maintainence co. and worked himself onto Jupiter Island (one of the most exclusive hoods in the nation) and he started pumping me to his clients.
I am getting about 3 jobs a year out of this community and am currently doing a kitchen to the tune of $450K. Talk of weird places to get leads!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Habitat For Humanity,
I built one house for them clear through plumbing heating and electrical. It was a great experience and would do it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts