Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite often we perform site clean up for builders, when their sites have become a mess from subs just leaving trash on the ground, rather than placing it in the dumpster. Due to some logistics, I was on site most of the day with my guys helping them load.
I have to say I was sick to my stomach to see so much GOOD lumber being tossed! I'm not talking about a 5' 2x4 cut off, or a brace with ten nails here. I'm talking about 2x4x8s, 2x6x12s, 2x8x12s, uncut, no nails, no warps, checks, cracks. NOTHING wrong! Don't ask me why they were just tossing them, I don't know. I was telling my guys to put them back in the wood bunks, but the framers said just toss them. They could see I was a bit upset, so they told me I could take the wood home.
I always think about how this is just one construction site, of thousands across America, that this is going on. It really makes me sick!

Rant over.

·
Registered
758 Posts
After awhile I realized how much time (money) it takes to manage trash. When you break it down it's actually pretty expensive.

On your hand though, that's just piss poor supervision, management, and what not that allows for that much stuff to be thrown out. Braces, 2x4 etc. all should become blocking for example. But with poor management you end up with crappy subs which allow for more trash.

I've worked around this elec. contractor, each guy dumps at least 20 -30 dollars in fasteners, connectors, boxes, wire, etc on the ground and leaves it. I do not exaggerate, a friend was a super on a job and gave them a 5 gallon bucket to drop their trash into they left the bucket and continued to drop trash and good fasteners on the floor and leave it.

It's laziness.

Trash fees are at $80.00 a ton where I live and that adds up quickly.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,366 Posts
I know a fella that did jobsite clean up for the builder I use to frame for. He got enough lumber in a years time to build a complete house. Don't worry, just take the wood & save it.

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
I was really excited that I was able to give away a bunch of 2x10's I had used as a temp wall recently. There was another guy on the job who was thrilled. He even took my fir cutoffs for firewood. I didn't have to get rid of them, he keeps warm. Everybody wins!

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I've thrown enough wood into the dumpsters to build 12 houses easy. not something I'm proud of but when on site all the energy/time available was put to that project and it is much easier to toss it in the dumpster than to figure out where to put it for later and stock pile it. lots of postage stamp lots adding three story additions etc, that dumpster takes more real estate in the yard than anything else so that where the stuff goes. I did build a studio out back with ceiling joists from an entire ceiling to vault redo/tear out, those 1950's 2x8 were real nice and strong to build a roof with. Most of the 2x4's used were from toe boards off a new house we did that were to be trashed when the roofers put the roof on and stuff that the contractor was tossing.

edit, forgot to mention that we did make an effort to transport left overs to the next project but it did not always pan out with weather and other road blocks in the way plus the left overs are pretty much twisted and only usable for blocking

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I've heard of people building entire houses by dumpster-diving.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
On another thread, didn't somebody mention a jobsite rule where anybody who stopped to pick up a nail/fastener would be fired? I get that now.

It looks wasteful, but it still makes sense in lots of ways. Need extra so there's no stoppage. It took getting older for me start realizing that. By extension, it's also time for many of us to toss, give away or "yardsale" stuff that we've been holding onto for way too long.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It costs me more to come pick up a dozen 12' 2x4s left over at a project and bring them to the next project than it does to get some new material ordered.
Not to mention they are all twisted to crap by that point.

If it's used as a concrete form it's contaminated and can't be used in construction so they all get tossed.

It's not sickening...we farm trees for that wood, who cares what happens to it.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I've gotten more careful with that, and I always try to have a pile in the garage or out of the way for unused lumber. Then my lumber yard will do a pickup and credit back for it.

That said, there's still just a lot of stuff that would be worth something to someone that gets thrown out on every job site. Sometimes it is cheaper to tell the clean up guy to haul off a few boards and pieces of plywood than to take the time and effort to deal with it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've gotten more careful with that, and I always try to have a pile in the garage or out of the way for unused lumber. Then my lumber yard will do a pickup and credit back for it.

That said, there's still just a lot of stuff that would be worth something to someone that gets thrown out on every job site. Sometimes it is cheaper to tell the clean up guy to haul off a few boards and pieces of plywood than to take the time and effort to deal with it.
I had a client ask me if I throw out scrap wire, I told her I throw out tonnes of it. She asked me if I would save all the scrap wire so she could pick it up from my shop, I told her if I was going to save it I'd scrap it myself and pocket the money.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Understanable that the economics of "waste/good/usable" materials recycling may very well dictate trashing it to the on-site builder.... but it is a waste nonetheless to society in general.

Depends I guess where the job site is, but in Cali (Dana Point) my son and I could take our "trash" lumber and put it on the tree lawn or back alley... and "scavengers" would have it gone by the next morning.

We had a fair amount of tear down, put it on Craigs list, and gone in two days....

Worked for us in saving dump fees, getting it the hell off site, and served someone in whatever they were doing.

I've done the craiglist thing in Co, and usually it's a few days, but have gotten rid of alot of recyclable material.

Just an idea.... Craigslist just takes a few minutes to post it.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
Understanable that the economics of "waste/good/usable" materials recycling may very well dictate trashing it to the on-site builder.... but it is a waste nonetheless to society in general.

Depends I guess where the job site is, but in Cali (Dana Point) my son and I could take our "trash" lumber and put it on the tree lawn or back alley... and "scavengers" would have it gone by the next morning.

We had a fair amount of tear down, put it on Craigs list, and gone in two days....

Worked for us in saving dump fees, getting it the hell off site, and served someone in whatever they were doing.

I've done the craiglist thing in Co, and usually it's a few days, but have gotten rid of alot of recyclable material.

Just an idea.... Craigslist just takes a few minutes to post it.
that seams feasible but having unknown people coming to the job site to pick up stuff does not always work out well and has liability involved to both the contractor and home owner.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
that seams feasible but having unknown people coming to the job site to pick up stuff does not always work out well and has liability involved to both the contractor and home owner.
Yes... I agree.... it does depend on the logistics of the jobsite and there is some risk..... I don't do it everywhere..... and sometimes I do not post the address.... make the party call me.

Also.... Don't know if you Habitat for Humanity near you.... but one near me will pick up good materials.... the other one near me will not pick-up... but I can drop off good toilets/sinks/windows etc.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
Yes... I agree.... it does depend on the logistics of the jobsite and there is some risk..... I don't do it everywhere..... and sometimes I do not post the address.... make the party call me.

Also.... Don't know if you Habitat for Humanity near you.... but one near me will pick up good materials.... the other one near me will not pick-up... but I can drop off good toilets/sinks/windows etc.
the only time habitat picked up from us was a few kitchen re does where we had old cabinets from an entire cabinet tear out and when we added a sun room and had to take down a 6x6 fixed window that was just a few years old. every other time it was not worth it to them to mess with but they always take stuff when we bring it to them.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Never used these guys.... but in Denver, someone has started a paint recycling business.... they are pretty new, so I have no idea of it's ultimate feasability.

They apparently charge a drop off fee of about 1.50/gallon (less than the disposal sites)... then they apparently mix the paints into maybe 10 different base colors... recan it.... and sell it for 10-15 gallon.

Not sure where it is used/sold to.... I wouldn't want it on my house/walls..... but maybe low end rentals or something.

Be nice to know from a paint chemist, what issues you run into mixing different brands/interior/exterior paint together.

I assume they only handle latexes.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,092 Posts
It takes a lot of time, effort, and space to move and store unused materials. You run out of storage space pretty quick.

I can pint to whole additions that were built out of torn down barns years ago. And yes, even the form boards wound up in the structure.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
Never used these guys.... but in Denver, someone has started a paint recycling business.... they are pretty new, so I have no idea of it's ultimate feasability. They apparently charge a drop off fee of about 1.50/gallon (less than the disposal sites)... then they apparently mix the paints into maybe 10 different base colors... recan it.... and sell it for 10-15 gallon. Not sure where it is used/sold to.... I wouldn't want it on my house/walls..... but maybe low end rentals or something. Be nice to know from a paint chemist, what issues you run into mixing different brands/interior/exterior paint together. I assume they only handle latexes.
The paint store I use will do that with paint that is only a few years old. I've used it a few time for painting garages. As long as you strain it before hand didn't seem like anything was wrong with it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts