Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to do some drywall, painting & some other work for a condo tenant, with the owner/landlord living out of state.

I've always steered clear of this kind of arrrangement since I believe the owner is financially responsible for payment and also that many tenants just really don't have the authority to make these type of decisions.

To do this work, isn't contact with the landlord/owner a must before work is started? Want to get at least the owners blessing with the tenant signing the work agreement (tenant also is the one to pay).

Suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Legally you must have his blessing, unless there is something in the rental agreement that makes it clear that the tenant has rights to do renovations

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I've only done it once,and it was because they put a hole in drywall. Other then that I actually check to make sure the people own the house,

·
Registered
758 Posts
I get about six calls during the winter to fix a door someone punched, tore off the hinges, or a drywall patch.

People on vacation (WTF) get all drunk and get alittle stupid and start damaging things instead of fessing up with the rental company they call me hoping that I'll make it all go away. For some reason they think I might be cheeeper than the rental company too????

I just tell them I need permission from the owner or managment company to do work due to liability issues. Then they start begging and ask what they should do.......... maybe not get drunk and violent?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has to be a joke.......

Seriously...

B,
No joke, really. Common sense alone has told me not to do work this way in years past, but for some really small tasks there is something that creeps in to the mind that says easier to slide...

All helpful posts.

I've seen rental agreements both that mention and those that don't.

Beleive many tenants think they can get away with hiring themselves for types of work that are more 'maintenance/decorating' related. At least in their own minds.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
I've done window repairs for tenants in the past. They don't want to tell the landlord, I'm fine with that. I won't do any major repairs, alterations or changes though.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
When I open an account with my lumberyard for a certain address they have software to verify the person that signs the contract is the legal owner of the property. Its a service for my protection as well as theirs.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
When I open an account with my lumberyard for a certain address they have software to verify the person that signs the contract is the legal owner of the property. Its a service for my protection as well as theirs.
Most, or at least alot, of counties now have their real estate public records on line, usually with no charge, or sometimes nominal charge.

Once you learn your counties system, you can learn alot about your customer..... liens or judgements against them, outright or mortgaged ownership, clean history or other issues.

Sometimes it can be a very valuable 15 minutes to check them out, especially if it is a large/significant job.

Best

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts