Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to ask others opinions on something. I have a chance to bid on a large roofing job. I have asked 2 other contractors to help me because it needs to be done nearly immediately. It's all two story. These guys want to bid this at 450 a square. The one advantage we have is we could start next week if necessay. I'm pretty certain this is too high and they are just trying to rape these poeple to hit a big payday before winter so they can sit on the hindquarters. I think I'm going to have to just flat out try to bid against them.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
He asked 2 other contractors for help and I think wants us to let him know what he thinks about going behind they're backs and bidding the job solo (after finding out what they want to charge).

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I need to ask others opinions on something. I have a chance to bid on a large roofing job. I have asked 2 other contractors to help me because it needs to be done nearly immediately. It's all two story. These guys want to bid this at 450 a square. The one advantage we have is we could start next week if necessay. I'm pretty certain this is too high and they are just trying to rape these poeple to hit a big payday before winter so they can sit on the hindquarters. I think I'm going to have to just flat out try to bid against them.
If all three of you went to look at the job already,I'd say you may be stepping on some toes here.
What does the scope of work consist of that $450 sounds too high.
Simple tear off and redo?
How many layers ?
Straight gable or valleys?

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
If you can handle it yourself in the timely manner the client needs, why did you feel the need to ask for help from these other contractors?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If you can handle it yourself in the timely manner the client needs, why did you feel the need to ask for help from these other contractors?
look at his trade listing

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Im gonna start helpin these guys and go around here saying fivefitty

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
450 may be high or it may be low. He didn't say what he was doing. Is it a simpe R&R, does he have to resheath? Terrain around the house plays role also where and how close can a dumpster be placed.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You are not a roofer, but you are a painting contractor. Perhaps leave the roofing to the licensed and properly insured professionals. What makes yout hink $450 is not enough? There is nothing wrong with making profit, never forget that. Don't forget Roofers don't get the luxury of roofing during winter so we have to make 12 months earnings in 10 months, and we work HARD for it. Also don't forget that roofing INSURANCE is about 5 times higher than painting insurance.

$450 could be high, or not high enough depending on the size of the job, and scope of work. How did the other guys arrive at this number? What is the customer's budget for this job? What are the competitors bidding? This is all information you need to know when bidding ANY job, regardless of trade.

Oh Oh Oh me t'inks "T'ree Fiddy is mo'e like it! DOh! RS beat me to it.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
What material is being installed? Are we assuming asphalt shingles? What if its metal or a wood system?

A lot of how much questions are really simple to answer.
How much to pay your materials, labor and overhead
+ How much do you want to personally make
+ Is it a fair enough amount that people will actually contract with you
= Your Price.

( I think that covers it.)

Is charging 700 a sq too much if someone actually pays it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think that he mostly need someone who has the expertise and crew to get a big nasty pig of a house done from start to finish.at 450 id have to say that includes a new deck.to me 450 is reasonable on a pig.roofing sucks cause its filthy and its heavy and its hard.add all of those factors together then add 19' and a unwalkable roof to me that equals dangerous.so 450 is reasonable.stick to painting and if your buddy gets the job maybe he'll be nice and give you a "finders fee".:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts