Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it that whenever I do someone a favor they make me feel like it's my duty to help them?

Someone called on Friday. They said "We have a leak and need an estimate." I usually prefer not to give estimates for leaks, rather just sned out a workman to inspect and repair then bill T&M. They really want an estimate so fine, I told them I can meet them wednesday I am really booked up. They want me to drive in rush hour traffic in the City of Chicago, a 20 minute drive can easily take upwards of an hour. I decided I would do that because they gave me a story about some scum that came in and were trying to take advantage of them blah blah blah. I truly felt sorry for them.

So I agreed I would meet them Monday at 4pm (That's one day notice.) I rearranged my schedule for them. One of the home owners said they'd have to leave work 10 minutes early but no problem. So I call at about 3:45 today to cancel. I have way too much paper work. I've been at my calculator all day and am far behind where I expected to be. I left a message. They called back at 4:30 stating they "just got your message" (I'd have been sititng around waiting 45 minutes for them!) and they are "very upset" and I "have to come out either tonight or tomorrow at very latest" and I have to "work within their schedule" since they "made special arrangements to meet me".

If they get a call back from me I will be suprised. I hate people like that. I can understand that they really need a roofer but there is no reason for them to be pushy and rude towards me. What's that saying? You catch more bees with honey rather than vinegar.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I recently scheduled a flooring measure with a client. My son acted up at daycare, and I had to go pick him up and take care of him the rest of the day. I called the client and left a message saying I had to cancel due to unforseen circumstances, and I would be happy to reschedule for a later date. I even left them my personal home number so they could call.
When they did call, they were upset, saying the same stuff you were told.
"I took time off work to meet you, and I cannot do it again. Your going to need to come out on Saturday or Sunday to measure because of it"

Saturday or Sunday? I don't think so. I dished these clients off to someone else who could help them and went on my way. These are the kind of folks who must not have an active life, so they know not of personal circumstances out of anyone's control. Have they never cancelled in their life? I think not.
They are the kind of folks who you could call to tell them the original installer was killed in a car crash, and we would have to reschedule someone else at a later date, and I bet they would have no empathy whatsoever.
I am uninterested in dealing with these sorts of folks at all.
What are we supposed to do? Inform every customer that we may have to cancel due to unforseen reasons just because the minority of them cannot understand life?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
When it comes to business and favors I live by 2 things.

1) Don't do them. Sometimes just saying no will result in a better outcome for everyone involved.

2) Only do them a favor after I have made sure that they absolutely, positively, without a doubt understand that what they are asking me to do is by no means a normal or expected business practice in my field.

Over time I have learned that when I agree to go way out of my way for a customer and by my own fault of not letting them know how unsual whatever I am doing for them is, I usally end up feeling like I am being taken advantage of and harbor bad feelings, but in reality the customer isn't even aware of the situation.

It turns out it if I don't educate the customer I end up having no one to blame but myself in the end.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
The difference between rookie and experienced =

knowing what to talk about and the way to say it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Favors ???

It seems to me there is a Mis-understanding and here it is :

"WHAT PART OF THE CONCEPT IN "FREE" DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND??"

We often have the same type of situations occur. Realistically with no payment or contract for reimbursement on services rendered, There is "No Obligation" on the part of either party and this becomes an issue of Ethics on both sides.
Those old sayings ring with tons of Truth !!! Such as : You often Get What You Pay For !!!

I advise you dont bother yourself over these types of people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts