Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Raleigh, NC contracting company has been blogging for a few weeks now.

We mostly write about water damage restoration and siding repairs in the Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill Triangle.

There are a number of reasons to blog, SEO, Value, Transparency, Trust, etc.

I think the best reason is to create value for your community by providing quality information on localized topics.

So do you blog regularly? We started the Raleigh Contractors Blog It is a work in progress of course.

Please reply with a link to your blog or any thoughts you have on the subject.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We blog on all our sites, I agree with everything you said about the reasons you should blog. I would only elaborate and add to the "trust" - could not agree more with this. When you blog with your business you have to become the expert and give away the industry "secrets", show them exactly how your going to install that fence, remodel their home, the process of adding landscaping or building their house from the ground up. As a small business owner its been hard to continually blog but I can't tell you enough the amount of #1 traffic you are going to get and #2 the amount of converted visitors that will increase your ROI with internet marketing. It will build trust and keep them coming back for more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Blogging certainly is effective and worthwhile if you are patient, consistent, and write stuff of genuine interest to your readers.
Earlier this week, for example, Bob Kruhm (of our organization) who publishes http://www.northcarolinaconstructionnews.blogspot.com, received the Google 'splog' notification. This happens when the blog attracts enough back-links that Google 'senses' there may be an artificial attempt to boost rankings, so you need to confirm a request for a 'human' inspection. Once my own blog passed this test, its ranking skyrocketed and now has first spot on relevant keywords.
So does this help business? Sure. We've traced cash orders and sales and you will likely get some business going forward. But I'm concerned about whether your blog is structured right to achieve these results.
1. I sense there is a lack of transparency. I can't tell who you are from your blog. You need to be 'there' and not hidden behind a secret identity (unless of course you are for example a political insider or might lose your job because of blogging, but in that situation, you aren't writing the blog to market your business!
2. Generosity of spirit and information are really important. At the beginning, I decided to grant relevant backlinks to "construction marketing" blogs. Yours qualifies, so you'll be on the list. (No reciprocation expected.) Regardless of whether I expect anything in return, it happens.
3. Be prepared to consistently maintain your blog for eight months to one year before it really pays off. This is not a quick fix or marketing solution,.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Let me add, its a lot of work. I shoot for one article a week and have my own style which is less professional but informative none the less.
I have found that I will be writing shorter but more remodel relevant articles with a touch of humor. This is a slippery slope as some people will think your not professional enough, that's OK with me.
I want to become the "FUN" blog guy.

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
I thought as contractors we had to be good at informing the customer, scheduling work, and doing a good job.

Now we have to be journalists too?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can someone give a link to an example of a blog on a company website? I have a hard time seeing how that would fit for some reason.

http://www.coolflatroof.com/flat-roofing-blog/
http://www.rooflife-oregon.com/roof-life-blog/

Reasons:
Blogs tend to in spidered more frequently
There are directories where you can list your blog (ie http://technorati.com/)
Other blogger can link to you postings
You can link to relevant web pages on your site
Become a news source and keep oher informed.

I know a RE agent that compiles housing data only available to agents, create a daily statistics table and published it on his blog. That is the only place to get it for the general public.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would recommend setting up blog as a sub domain of your main web site. Wordpress or Blogger can take you down at any time they wish . For SEO sub domain best way to go. We use a wordpress theme platform for our main web site on our own domain not word press, it is very easy to up date on your own, saves a lot of money. There are many plug ins for wordpress that help for SEO.

Replacement Windows Boston

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Can someone give a link to an example of a blog on a company website? I have a hard time seeing how that would fit for some reason.
It's just a page on your site that is filled with your articles and information you want to share with you prospective customers.

Curious why you feel that wouldn't fit.:blink:

ADD: Sorry, I didn't see your next post. I got all froze up when I saw the first one.:jester::laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts