Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is supposed to be satin. It looks pretty semi gloss to me. Seems waaay to shiny for satin. Three coats of finish, sanded in between coats w/ 24 hours dry time between coats and the third (and final) coat is 24 hours old and dry to the touch. I know it will dull a teeny bit but it still looks too shiny for satin. It's varathane finish. I've done 4 floors w/ this finish and this is the first time I've had a problem. Want to try the tycoat but kind of pricy.

Any opinions? Just want to be sure my eyes aren't deceiving me. Thanx.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What species of flooring it that?

You're the better judge from your past experiences with the sheen.
Is the customer happy? That's what counts.........

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx pinwheel. I'll accept it as satin :thumbsup:.
It's reclaimed heart pine. I was hoping for a bit duller finish but varathane doesn't make an eggshell. I've heard good and bad about varathane and decided to try it a couple years ago because it's pretty inexpensive (40$/ gallon & one gallon will cover about 400 sq ft/ coat) and actually like it. I wish it was a bit harder but I wish that about every finish.

Only used the poly, never tried the water based.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Thanx pinwheel. I'll accept it as satin :thumbsup:.
It's reclaimed heart pine. I was hoping for a bit duller finish but varathane doesn't make an eggshell. I've heard good and bad about varathane and decided to try it a couple years ago because it's pretty inexpensive (40$/ gallon & one gallon will cover about 400 sq ft/ coat) and actually like it. I wish it was a bit harder but I wish that about every finish.

Only used the poly, never tried the water based.

Ever try Fabulon? It's nearly bullet proof hard & they make a duller satin than that. It's oilbased too.

I refinished a floor in a restaurant 3 1/2 years ago. They get 3-500 people a day. I was in there a couple weeks ago & was tickled with how well the finish is holding up to that kind of traffic.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ever try Fabulon? It's nearly bullet proof hard & they make a duller satin than that. It's oilbased too.

I refinished a floor in a restaurant 3 1/2 years ago. They get 3-500 people a day. I was in there a couple weeks ago & was tickled with how well the finish is holding up to that kind of traffic.
Next floor I do will be Fabulon. I've only read about it on this site and no body has said anything bad about it, only that it's awesome finish and dries hard as a rock. Now I just have to find a distributor.
Is it a fairly standard install?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,512 Posts
INHO I would call it semigloss. Satin shouldn't impart such a detailed reflection, should be much blurrier. With dull you should almost just see shapes with no real detail.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly what I thought. I've never done a floor w/ satin (only ever used semigloss) but I have done cabinets and to me they didn't have any where near that much sheen to them. I would expect it to reflect light but not mirror images as much.

Oddly enough, when I put the 2nd coat of finish on I got through about 85% of it w/ the first gallon of finish. I opened a new gallon to put the last 15% on and after it dried you could blatantly tell it was waaaay shinier than the first 85%. I was actually pleased w/ the sheen on the first 85%. So I took the gallon back and exchanged it for a new one that I used for the final coat (figured they had a can mis-marked). Well, now I'm wondering if they got a shipment of mis-marked cans.

Fortunately this is in my living room so I don't have to eat my time and I can just live w/ it :furious:. I don't even want to think about this in a customer's home.

I should've tested the new gallon I got after exchanging for the first bad one but my wife took the kids to her parents in Milwaukee so I could finish the floor and the third coat went down the day she was returning so I didn't have time to test coat then wait for it to dry.

Lesson learned here-don't just test to find a sheen you're happy w/, test to make sure the kids in Taiwan put the right label on the can :thumbsup:!

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
You did thoroughly stir the varnish didn't you? The flattening agent settles to the bottom of the can.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Once the carpet and furniture get on there, it won't be so noticeably reflective. No fretty 'bout it I say.

As for hardness, I think it can take a week or a month to really fully cure. The longer you can stay off it the better.

Oh, and yeah as Pinwheel said, the dulling agent/sediment sits at the bottom of the can, so you have to give it a stir every so often.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rub some kids in pajamas with their toys on it to dull the shine.
That's actually one reason I wanted a duller finish. That and this moose (our dog). I was homping less sheen wouldn't show claw marks and kids toy bash marks as much.

I did actually shake it and stir it. Nothing I can do about it now, the wife won't let me redo it! I'll just live w/ it and next time I'll use the fabulon everyone raves about :thumbsup:.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have finished floors with Varathane and Fabulon. Varathane finish is more glossy compare to Fabulon,DuraSeal or most of the floor finishes out there.Also more liquid and runny.I do not use nowadays but I remember I used to apply an additional coat when I use Varathane.
You can still apply any satin polyurethane over this, no need to tycoat, just buff,clean and apply.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have finished floors with Varathane and Fabulon. Varathane finish is more glossy compare to Fabulon,DuraSeal or most of the floor finishes out there.Also more liquid and runny.I do not use nowadays but I remember I used to apply an additional coat when I use Varathane.
You can still apply any satin polyurethane over this, no need to tycoat, just buff,clean and apply.
Thanks for that post :thumbsup:! Not to say the others were not helpfull but it's nice to here from someone that's used both finishes. So you like the Fabulon better?

As far as my floor goes, I think I'll just live w/ it for now and maybe in a couple years after it gets beat I'll go over it w/ Fabulon then. The one thing I don't like about the Varathane is the watery characteristic of it. I check a LOT for drips while I'm putting it down and no matter how much I look, once it dries I always find a couple I over looked :furious:. The other is that it doesn't blend very well if you're not extremely consistant w/ the amount you're putting down while you're spreading it. Is the Fabulon better for this too??

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I like Fabulon better,but here in SW, it is difficult to get hands on, when I have a floor order from East Coast I purchase and added to the shipment,no matter how many I order time to time I still run out of it, then I use Duraseal.
Fabulon spreads much better than any other finish IMHO.And stands to traffic better.They make poly for bowling alleys.They used to have a manufacturing plant in Erie, Ont,I am not sure if it is still there, it has been bought years ago by Duraseal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts