Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Blackberry and it's great for maintaining contacts, push email, and texting. For web browsing and other apps I find it less useful, least for me (I know it's capable of much more but for me it's a hassle on that device, imo)

So this gets me thinking... should I expect more out of my phone?

Bro has the iPhone, friend has the iPod Touch. I've semi used both and the interface is great, very easy to use it for much more than just a phone.

So what I'm getting to here is... the iPhone itself along with a decent plan costs an arm and a leg compared to alternatives. Has anyone found the iPhone to help save money or help make you money? Have you kept track of the exact numbers?

This post is inspired by this article which lists a few things the iPhone helps you do better and you end up actually making a whole $1 after 2 years; it's aimed more at personal use. Take with a grain of salt but interesting to consider http://www.otiskimzey.com/2008/06/10/the-iphone-3g-will-make-you-money/

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Not speaking about the capabilities of the iPhone itself, but I think the limitations of having to use AT&T makes it not appealing. An unlimited plan is $150 plus taxes. The iPhone itself is in the same price range as other smart phones.

However, with a little patience and creativity, I got an Android phone on Sprint. I have a mostly unlimited plan (only landline calls between 7-7, M-F count toward my 1500 minutes) and it only costs me $42/month + taxes.

I'll guarantee you the iPhone is not $100/month better than an Android.

Oh, and Sprint doesn't block the use of Google Voice which I can use to make free calls so I never actually have to tap into my 1500 minutes to make a call. :whistling

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angus, thanks for your reply. may I ask which phone and plan you have? It almost sounds like you have Sero (which I currently have)?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
angus, thanks for your reply. may I ask which phone and plan you have? It almost sounds like you have Sero (which I currently have)?

I have a Samsung Moment. Not sure of my plan. I know Sprint constantly changes them. I usually check every 6 months or so to see if there is a better one available. When I bought the new phone, this was the first time I went in to an actual store to purchase (instead of online) and they hooked me up with the deal. I know I got some kind of 20% discount. No clue why. But I know the new plan is to compete with the "circle" plans. Any incoming or outgoing call to another mobile phone is free. That's 80% of my calling anyway. I then get 1500 minutes per month for those landlines calls. Like I said, Google Voice takes care of the outgoing. Now I'm left with 1500 minutes to use for incoming landline calls M-F, 7a-7p. Everything else is unlimited (data, text, picture, 411, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the iPhone and its great. I got the Defender case made by Otterbox which covers the whole thing.

As far as work goes, the visual voicemail is great. I also use a weather app to check the doppler radar during the day if it is supposed to rain...it makes it easy to see whether or not the showers will pass or if its better to pack up and go home.

The camera is also great, its a decent enough quality where I have taken a photo and emailed it to the HO right on the spot a few times. I also use it to take photos during estimates so I don't have to carry around my digital camera. (Can't use it for before and afters for a portfolio though)

The ipod feature doesn't hurt either, I leave the cable attached to my dewalt radio if I don't feel like listening to commercials.

Overall I'm sure there are many other phones that can pull off all of same tasks, so it's probably just a matter of personal preference. I will warn you though that dust gets under the glass very easily, even if I keep it in the case. As long is its under warranty though the Apple store will replace the screen for you when you bring it in, I've had it done about three times.

Hope that helps.

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
Angus, I am very confounded about this Android phone.... What I can tell is the Android is JUST the software written by Google and the phones are variable amongst the carriers, is this correct?

·
DN Construction
179 Posts
I have had the bb for prob 4 yrs just switched to the iphone and I am soo happy with it. No more BB issues with the camera not working or freezing or lagging on phone calls. The iphone is the same price as far as ur monthly plan goes. All the apps it has in completely insane. The weather is the best ur a click away to instant weather updates right on your worksite. All of these other companies out there and putting the iphone down because they don't have it. Att did something smart by buying the rights to the iphone for a little while longer. I cant complain with att one of the best services I have had and a decent customer service as well.

·
Banned
7 Posts
For a more 'on-site' use for your iPhone (or Android) take a look at blocklayer.mobi (also works on desktop)

Small, but legible, and might save you some time ($) on-site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts