Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our house has stained moldings and stained doors that are not in the best shape. All of the doors are 6 panel solid wood that we would be willing to have redone. I really like white moldings so here is the question - can you have stained doors and put white molding around them?

I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,564 Posts
It can if you do it right. It can also look hideous if you do it wrong.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
There's nothing uglier than beautiful wood covered up with white paint just because it's trendy. Step away from the Houzz account and take a look at the quality of the materials involved and the character of the home. Pick the solution that suits the home first. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love natural wood (or stained ) if they are nice doors go for it.
why cover up that old craftsmanship ? when you can showcase it .
Maybe try one and see if its to your liking ?worst case scenario you hate it and just paint them
Good luck

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That look is fine. If your house was built after 1940 (?), go ahead and don't give it a second thought - there's a lot of stained moulding in the world that should have been painted from the start. If built before, then take a few moments to reconsider.

I'm painting with a broad brush, but not every bit of natural wood is precious.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
weve done it a couple times, however after the paint was on the trim the homeowners ended up opting to paint the doors as well.. it just didnt work very well for the style of the house

·
Registered
460 Posts
We've done it a few times as well. For me it's all about if it works with the floor material and color choice. Personally I love quality molding that stands out, not blends in with the floor. I hate seeing hardwood floors with the millwork stained the same exact color. If white looks better then it gets white, if stain then it gets stained. I do believe that you will not pass through the pearly gates if you paint stain worthy trim from the 1800's / early 1900's. :whistling

1 - 16 of 16 Posts