Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a blurb on discovering that all or the majority of the Bosch Hammers are coming out of PRC. This includes their large/largest roto hammers. NOT out of some European country like their previous lienup.

Do you care what COO your tool comes from ?

I generally shop for what's best in it's catagory. For hand tools, most if not all my hand tools are made in Germany, Sweden or of European descent....I'm talking drivers, wrenchs, pliers, etc..

I LOVE all my Milwaukee tools. Innovative and aside from their drills/impacts, I have a ton of their specialty-niche stuff like the Propex, Adhesive Gun, Bandsaw, etc.

Do you avoid tools made in PRC if you can ?
I'm typing this off my Mac.....and well, I think all my Milwaukee tools are PRC. Most of corded are of European descent. Even my new Dewalt Framing Cordless is of European origins. Lasers are PLS and Leica - as they are of USA and Austia Origin.

So let me hear it. Do you care what COO your tools are made in.
Everything seems to be coming out of PRC these days. I knew Bosch cordless came out from there, but I would never have expected their hammer line to.

Hell, just picked up 2 OEM PARTS FROM THE DEALER for the wifes car. Guess what. My originals were stamped made in Germany. The new ones.....PRC

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Country of Origin is very important to me and is one of the very first things I look for when I buy anything, not just tools.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's very important to me aswell... I was really set on buying a hitachi framing nailer but they are making them in Taiwan now instead of Japan so I'm looking into something else. I like things from Canada, USA, Japan and many European countries. I try to stay away from Chinese tools but its often unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes, I care, but it's less about quality than the loss of Western manufacturing. Tools made in the PRC are getting better and better. My fear is that we have become mass consumers of overseas goods, and getting deeper and deeper into their pockets. If we ever went to war with China, all they would have to do is stop exporting to us, and we would be on our knees!

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
It's very important to me aswell... I was really set on buying a hitachi framing nailer but they are making them in Taiwan now instead of Japan so I'm looking into something else.
Others have said this but my new framing nailer is made in Japan so I don't believe it. NR83

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, I care, but it's less about quality than the loss of Western manufacturing. Tools made in the PRC are getting better and better. My fear is that we have become mass consumers of overseas goods, and getting deeper and deeper into their pockets. If we ever went to war with China, all they would have to do is stop exporting to us, and we would be on our knees!
They are buying up so much foreign debt, they will own most western countries before too long :eek::laughing:

Love US made tools, just wished USPS and UPS were kinder on their freight rates to AUST.

Of late, i have been trying to skip the ROC junk, but with many companies now manufacturing in ROC, its getting harder. Alot of dedicated tool shops are stocking less quality, and more "disposable" cheaper tools to compete with the Big Box retailers and the DIY market.

a tool i bought recently, i thought was made in AUS, was actually made in china. A bit of a disappointment really.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's getting harder every year but I try. I bought dewalt countersink set a few weeks ago made in china. Didn't want the kobalt set. Well the kobalt set is made in the USA. Bought some "vix" bits from a hardware specialty store paid what I could of got US made genuine vix for. Should of bought the kobalt version for half the price. When I get a chance to hit Rockler or my other spot I am getting real vix bits.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
No qualms - Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Germany, UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Italy, Spain, Scandanavia and NZ.

I think twice - PRC, Russia, Eastern Block countries.

No deal - Burma, Israel, Fiji, Cambodia, Thailand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't really care where they are made as long as they are good quality. My Milwaukee M12 tools are outstanding quality and come from China. Sometimes Chinese tools are not as good quality though.

What I don't like is when a company switches production from a known quality manufacturing country (European/America/Japan) to China, but still charges the same price for the goods (i.e. Craftsman tools)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There is one reason production gets moved overseas to places like China and that is cost, not quality. It's easy to take advantage of workers and who cares about the environment. Once the workers make too much money and/or China cracks down on pollution, the jobs will be moved somewhere else to take advantage of those people and pollute their environment. I have no desire to be part of that is any way, shape, or form.

And, lets not forget our $471.5 billion trade deficit last year. We have dug ourselves into a very dangerous hole. If we ever want to dig ourselves out, we need to stop shipping all our jobs overseas.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I seent it! Held one in my hands. I'm not sure of the exact model number but it is what is available to me locally. Definitely NR83 just not sure of the letters/numbers after that. $400+ gun....
this one is about a year old
That's crazy. Guess I will just rebuild the two I have over and over till I die...:laughing:

·
Registered
624 Posts
From what I understand, china production cost are going up due to their improved economy. They are now looking to industrialize Africa and move some production there.

This come from a guy that export scrap metal. China is basically dismantling our infrastructure and metal resources to continue their expansion. What was once ours, is now theres.

This "global economy" has certainly put us at risk. Our economy is already screwed and each day we are going further into the depths of sh!t. We have no independance and we can not sustain without the rest of the world.

Short answer, yes it matters to me. I buy as little from china as possible.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
J.C. said:
There is one reason production gets moved overseas to places like China and that is cost, not quality. It's easy to take advantage of workers and who cares about the environment. Once the workers make too much money and/or China cracks down on pollution, the jobs will be moved somewhere else to take advantage of those people and pollute their environment. I have no desire to be part of that is any way, shape, or form. And, lets not forget our $471.5 trade deficit last year. We have dug ourselves into a very dangerous hole. If we ever want to dig ourselves out, we need to stop shipping all our jobs overseas.
Very true. We vote for what county we want to support by the origin of the goods we buy. Our hunger for cheap goods hurts our economy, and therefor ourselves. We may not see it directly, but indirectly we are being dragged down by this. Manufacturing jobs uses to pay quite well, which resulted in more people with money in their pockets that spent it on their homes. Now, many of those people are working low paying retail and food service jobs. The rich/poor gap is widening, and the middle class shrinking. This has resulted in a shrinking customer base and downward pressure on rates.

I remember when a typical carpenter would drive around in a new Vette. It's harder now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts