Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this at a retail store, 3/4 plywood making the bench seat. It looks cool to me and I would like to buy some for a project at my home. I am unsure of where to buy it, as I don't know what it is called.
It looks a lot like cork, or an lsl beam, but it's wood 5 ply.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are we looking at? Looks like OSB to me, I guess a section view would be nice.
Were looking at a backless bench at a retail store, 18"x48" ish, 3/4 ply surrounded by 1x1" steel. It's without a doubt LSL or OSB on the surface, but the edge shows it's a cabinet grade 5 ply. Hoping to find a product name so I can order some from my yard.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was in a bar in Oregon where the bar top was a huge LVL beam. Looked similar to the pic but I think that is osb as well.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Oriented strand board......if the picture you threw up is the material,,,no matter how you slice it,,,,,it is definitely an OSB configuration....

B,

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to Kent Whitten and Mark James for posting useful responses.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Those aren't 5-ply cabinet grade as you said...

I'm curious too, did you get a pic of the edge?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Thank you to Kent Whitten and Mark James for posting useful responses.
I don't know if you were being serious, but I definitely was. It looks just like Advantech, minus the core you are describing of course. The local Eastern Mountain Sports in downtown Portland (Maine of course) uses this exact product for all of their showpieces. Doors, cabinets, counters...all sealed in a finish.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those aren't 5-ply cabinet grade as you said...

I'm curious too, did you get a pic of the edge?
I did not get a photo of the edge. There is only about 3/16 between the metal frame and the ply edge, but I could see in and it wasn't osb through and through.
You are right, it's not cabinet grade plywood. What I was trying to imply, was that the cut edge looks a lot more like an ab birch ply than it does some cdx. That made me think it wasn't a framing product dressed up to look finished, but a product intended to be a finished surface from the get go.
I feel a bit foolish for staring the thread at this point. Perhaps its just advantech osb after all and my eyes deceived me. After all the t&g I've glued and peppered...I should be able to recognize the stuff with some shiny lacquer on it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if you were being serious, but I definitely was. It looks just like Advantech, minus the core you are describing of course. The local Eastern Mountain Sports in downtown Portland (Maine of course) uses this exact product for all of their showpieces. Doors, cabinets, counters...all sealed in a finish.
I was being serious. I was looking for a product name or a brand an you gave me just that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
To me, the stuff (materials) that comprise that sheet are much less defined with softer edges, etc. than in Advantech. Yes, no?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts