Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Custom
13,210 Posts
You can try something like this also, it's a nice spacious bathroom layout, using stackable W/D
Nice layout, but I believe that the OP said one of the requirements was a "large walk-in closet"...

I originally asked if they were open to a stackable W/D also... :thumbsup:

I don't think he should recommend the washer/dryer downstairs like he was talking about... whoever does the clothes will have to walk them up and down the stairs all the time, and will think of him every time they have to...

Better off keeping it on the same floor if not in the same area...

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Nice layout, but I believe that the OP said one of the requirements was a "large walk-in closet"...

I originally asked if they were open to a stackable W/D also... :thumbsup:

I don't think he should recommend the washer/dryer downstairs like he was talking about... whoever does the clothes will have to walk them up and down the stairs all the time, and will think of him every time they have to...

Better off keeping it on the same floor if not in the same area...
I was bored, so I was just messing around... after what you and Andy posted :thumbsup: there wasn't to many options left...

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Have you ever considered that the washer and dryer might be able to be incorporated into (inside) the vanity? (Front Loaders, of course) Despite what most people think, that space down there goes mostly unused, considering that you usually have a linen closet, and that the medicine cabinet can easily be made extra deep. (Mine is 46" wide x 40" tall x 7" deep.)

Reactions: moorewarner

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
bdoles said:
What does the door opposite the french doors lead to, the one on the same wall as the stairs? Does that have to remain?
This is a door to enclosed porch. It can and will be removed. It's not needed.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Follow up.... It's not to scale of course (I used MS Paint), but I would make the commode room a little wider and the walk in shower a little narrower. You could put a privacy glass door on the walk in shower as well.

This would keep a nice "open" concept while maintaining privacy all throughout as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Borrowing one of KAP's designs and tweaking it just a bit....
Not that's its an issue of my concern but why are people so insistent on unnecessary doors. The closet don't need a door to the laundry room, it only wastes space for the closet so a person doesn't have to walk an extra five feet. This bathroom should have at most 4 doors, 1 entry in, 1 shower, 1 for the laundry, and maybe one for the closet.

You said you want to keep the window in the bathroom! This means the closet and laundry room must be "south" of the window. So think of doors, flow, walking it out, how you do your routine everyday (more importantly theirs). You said you want to keep the french doors so think of the view from inside of them, outside of them.

My experience is people hate crapper rooms, 30% of the time your in the bathroom you are on the throne. People don't want to be stuck in a little cramped room where they can't see the rest of the 50K bathroom. Those rooms offer no space at the cost of valuable space.

The best layouts are always Keep it simple, sinks on different walls sucks. Now I have to go to two places to put away towels or look for that darn tweezers, walk across the room. Keep functions combined.

Most great craftsman are horrible interior designers, myself included but I try to listen and learn what works.

Hey if anything print out all our drawings and let them chose.

Attachments

• 109.4 KB Views: 27,880

·
Registered
Custom
13,210 Posts
While I am not a fan of water closets that is usually constricting... here is another that includes one that might not be... Thanks to CompleteW&D helping to refine it... Also french doors to 30"... large shower, large water closet, large walk-in closet, large common area (with room for an armoire), and a place for washer/dryer and folding table...

Love all the ideas flowing... :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Atlanta Remodeling
234 Posts
The best layouts are always Keep it simple, sinks on different walls sucks. Now I have to go to two places to put away towels or look for that darn tweezers, walk across the room. Keep functions combined.
Not at my house. I'd give an arm and a leg for my own "vanity space". I'm much neater than my wife and hate sifting through her stuff. Especially when it comes to flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers. If I had the space, I would build two complete bathrooms side by side, "his & hers". :whistling

Yes there would be a lock on "mine", maybe even one with a fingerprint lock - like this one

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not at my house. I'd give an arm and a leg for my own "vanity space". I'm much neater than my wife and hate sifting through her stuff. Especially when it comes to flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers. If I had the space, I would build two complete bathrooms side by side, "his & hers". :whistling

Yes there would be a lock on "mine", maybe even one with a fingerprint lock - like this one
Sounds more like a wife problem than a layout problem

·
Registered
Custom
13,210 Posts
I'm trying to come up with a good layout for this bathroom. In this space, I need to fit a large walk in closet, toilet, Frameless Shower, washer and dryer, and of course, vanities. Everytime I do a design, I end up losing something...room for the toilet, washer and dryer...something.

The french doors really can't be moved. Neither can the window. The owner would like to keep that...

I'm going to keep toying around with the layout. In the mean time, I thought it could be a good idea to post here to see if anyone had any ideas. I've included a picture with the needed dimensions. I'm also going to try and upload the sketchup file as well in case it could be useful.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would have shown my failed attempts, but, I got frustrated and deleted everything to start from scratch.

Let me know if you have any questions for me. Locations of utilities will not matter on this project. So, we have a blank canvas.

Thanks in advance for any help or input in this. The best layout I had required changing the french doors to a single door....the owner wasn't in love with that layout.
Be sure to let us know the final design and if you closed it... good luck... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not that's its an issue of my concern but why are people so insistent on unnecessary doors. The closet don't need a door to the laundry room, it only wastes space for the closet so a person doesn't have to walk an extra five feet. This bathroom should have at most 4 doors, 1 entry in, 1 shower, 1 for the laundry, and maybe one for the closet.

You said you want to keep the window in the bathroom! This means the closet and laundry room must be "south" of the window. So think of doors, flow, walking it out, how you do your routine everyday (more importantly theirs). You said you want to keep the french doors so think of the view from inside of them, outside of them.

My experience is people hate crapper rooms, 30% of the time your in the bathroom you are on the throne. People don't want to be stuck in a little cramped room where they can't see the rest of the 50K bathroom. Those rooms offer no space at the cost of valuable space.

Most great craftsman are horrible interior designers, myself included but I try to listen and learn what works.

Hey if anything print out all our drawings and let them chose.
I've gotta agrree with Keeyter here. Why so many extra doors? Thats unutilized space. The layout he posted flows the best in my opinion. Yea I absolutely put a door on the washer/dryer room to reduce noise and maybe a set of bifold doors on the closet if you don't want it to be just open. Seperate sink areas would be nice but if there is two sinks on the same wall you can still keep things fairly seperate. I agree with the statement above about hating digging through the womans stuff. Mine leaves all her hair supplies on the vaniity and it drives me nuts. But shes a woman and your never gonna change it!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you have revit? Beside being a renovator I'm also a architectural designer. If you have revit, I can quickly do up a floor plan for you within the next day or two. Just need to send me the dimension of the room. From there on you can play around with space layout, plus it will be much easier then your sketch up file over there.

·
Registered
Custom
13,210 Posts
Do you have revit? Beside being a renovator I'm also a architectural designer. If you have revit, I can quickly do up a floor plan for you within the next day or two. Just need to send me the dimension of the room. From there on you can play around with space layout, plus it will be much easier then your sketch up file over there.
Go to his first post, dimensions and requirements are there...

It's been almost 2 weeks, so he may have already submitted his proposal...

Hopefully he will let us know what they ended up with... there were some interesting designs posted....

·
Registered
Custom
13,210 Posts
rdr8887,

Whatever happened with this project? Did you get it, and if so, what was the final design?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey y'all. Thanks again for everyones help and sorry about the lack of updates. I've been busy...but not on this project unfortunately. I had an email saying I had a reply which is the first one I got in a long time. I still can't figure out these notifications. I was driving at the time and couldn't respond.

I sent over three basic designs. One of them I created and two others from here with a few tweaks. I have them basic budget options and left room for a discussion and tweaking of the budget to fit their needs.

I tried following up with them several times but never heard a word from them. No email, phone, or even a letter. I actually got pretty aggressive this time because I was slow. I'm not sure if they just didn't like me or someone cut my throat. Hell, maybe they just tabled the idea after seeing prices. Who knows.

But thank you all for input and help. I owe you one...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts