Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Yes, keep a sharp eye out on all your employees and subs, and make sure they dont hack anything up:jester:. G

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It depends what you're doing. I think checking for quality control basically comes from experience though. But on certain jobs there can be ways as far as how you go about handling your quality control, as far as when to check what, to make your job run much more efficient, and produce much better results.

·
Remodeling Contractor
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm a GC renovating a building for office space. I was hoping for a good sample to go by, it gets complex, a sample I saw was a 100 pages!
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have a quality control plan both for subs and staff :

1) We first make up a set of job specifications. From the specs we order the materials and labor. Once job is booked we print a job manual.
It has all the specs and tasks to build the project. ( This took a huge amount of time to create at first but, now pays off in spades )
I make up a list of tasks on each job - they are generally in order of sequence - I assign them to staff or sub and has the expected time to do the task and the date it should be completed. This creates the schedule

2) I copy and paste the specs and tasks into the Subs PO / WO as well as a central job notebook ( this makes sure they know what we expect it is very detailed - but worth it)

It takes some training to get subs to use it. The check list of tasks helps make sure some item isn't missed. I have had subs say - this is great I'm going to start using task lists for my staff.

3) We have written a complete operation manual detailing how we want to build - the manual has instructions, details, tied to the specs. It even has pictures and drawings ( It takes a while to get the staff to READ the manual - but, when they ask a question - you reply "Have you looked in the Manual "? )

4) When some one is new ( Sub or Staff ) we hand out our policy manual - procedures, rules, regs and expectations. This does contribute to quality control. The worker knows we are more serious

5) Lastly - As the super I go to the manual and go to the task list and check off tasks as completed as the project proceeds. If an item is left undone and is bypassed - I high light the item in Yellow and try to get someone on it. We used to hire a retired carpenter to come in with an extra set of eyes to go through the project and check off the list as a in house inspector.

I know this sounds like a lot of work - but, I have found that creating the system actually makes it easier to supervise, your construction outcome is better. I find the task list and specs does a lot of baby sitting and conveys management expectations better.

Lastly, one of the best things to happen to me : I was helping the crew ( had my tools on ) and while working my foreman says to me - "What I was doing was not they way the Manual said to do it "-

I stepped back - realized my mistake - said - "Do it the Way the Manual says" and I moved on to and stepped out of the way.

I feel real confident that the foreman is watching quality control now - his job is to direct the subs to the manual.

Email me and I will send examples of the specs and the tasks. [email protected]

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts