Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know powder coating seems to go hand in hand with sandblasting but what about other tangential business ideas?

Some things I've seen before:

Glass etching
Monument/Rock engraving (house #'s, housing development & business names.
Wood sign engraving (same items as above)

Anyone doing any of these things or others as a side or just to break up the day by day monotony of blasting rust and paint?

I may be wrong but think if creativeness is included with the service, you can charge beyond an hourly rate because competition is quite limited.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Blast off
Few years ago I tried to get into glass etching
And is AWSOME to do, we already have the set up you just need a plot machine that cuts rubber and rubber mat
Most all products can be found on line.
Ps same type of set up needed for Rock carving

The only reason I didn't follow through is on glass
The vinyl sign shops have vinyl that's when cut and stuck look just like it was sandblasted
And what the people like is if the shop or business moves they don't have to replace the glass, just pull it off

The rock carving is s little more involved as there is glue and heavier rubber mat, but I have a dozen guys around me doing head stones ( which I don't want to do) but they're all doing art work now

·
outforablast
93 Posts
I do Custome sand stone signage, wood, mirror and glass it so fun my only down fall is I have a local decal shop do my cutting and design work for the stencils so my profit is not great but I'm looking into the plotter and machines to do what I'm after

·
2,018 Posts
I liked playing with the glass
On youtube there's a guy that does glass carving
Looks like a ice sculpture after he's done
It's done with different layers of of mat taking off at different times making some areas deep cut and some just lightly frosted

http://youtu.be/VS4EMRUhq-Y

I think this is the link

I think if I had my own rubber cutter this would be a hobby with money making capabilities

·
Bob
512 Posts
I have a suggestion for keeping busy in Hawaii (other than the obvious, hanging on the beach with a cold one). Figure out if ground up lava rock would make good blast media. If it works buy up a square mile or so of otherwise unusable land over on the big island and get busy becoming a "media mogul" (and I'm not talking about becoming a TV producer)

·
2,018 Posts
Hey I know a few years back, and maybe it's still around but there use to be a product made out of lava rock that was like the glass insulation for houses
It would last in high heat temp if there was a fire

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rock wool, charcoal, next thing you know someone is going to suggest we blast with dried jellyfish innards!
If so, MMLJ will have just the pot for it. :whistling

Just kidding, geez everybody takes things so seriously. :cheesygri

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a suggestion for keeping busy in Hawaii (other than the obvious, hanging on the beach with a cold one). Figure out if ground up lava rock would make good blast media. If it works buy up a square mile or so of otherwise unusable land over on the big island and get busy becoming a "media mogul" (and I'm not talking about becoming a TV producer)
mite have to look in to that :thumbup1:

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I finally tried the perlite samples. It flowed well and seemed a little softer to me than glass. It was a very fine grit but stripped an auto part and some aluminum wheels very nicely. Kauai,what is your name?, the crushed glass is about a 6 and does well also on auto parts. It's up to the operator to work it right and that's about as soft as abrasive you can get anyway. What iis it you prefer to use on auto parts?

Bob, they told me it was free silica free. I will check on that before I would stock any.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cody Zimmerman
I use mostly crushed glass on everything haha did not realize it was a 6..
I was told it was more like a 4 or 5 ?
the scale goes up to 8 correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts