Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work at a granite counter top company but I see that we only have residential work. I wanted to know how to go about getting in contact with home builders like Ryan Homes or Drees Homes and possibly bidding on some projects. I would appreciate and advice or personal experiences on the matter. Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
That is a different game that what I play, that is for sure....you are talking huge volume, probably razor thin margins, and a boot on your neck. But clearly there are guys that make a living with them. Call a home office, find out from the source. And the best of luck to you...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rockmonster cannot be more accurate, I used to work for Ryan Homes, I was lucky, they paid my regular prices, but they used me just when they had no other options(before Christmas rush, filling in or when nobody else was available....), all this went on 'til I got tired of playing their game, then all I did was saying that I was too busy to get to their work and after 3 or 4 times getting the same answer they never called me again, I don't regret it a bit. They are as cheap as it could be, beware, profit margins are slim, besides, after 5,6,7, 10 years of working for them, somebody comes at $.10 cheaper and they let you go; you will be just the cheapest price, nothing else.
It's definitely a game for builders suppliers, but not for craftsmen, but anyways, good luck!
Merry Christmas for all in this forum!

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
I used to, but got tired of slow pay, every order being an emergency and/or wrong, and just general lack of willingness on my part to baby them for the prices they want to pay.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i have never worked for the "big" home builders like you are talking about.but a few years ago,a builder called me and asked me to go to guymon oklahoma to brick a house for him.guymon is about 160 miles from my hometown and was under going a building boom due to seaboard building a packing plant there.this builder told me if i gave him a good job and good price,he had 10 more homes planned and i would get them.to make a long story short,i cut my brick price by 200.00 a thousand and did him a very good job.he paid me and told me to be ready to do his other houses.he built the other houses,but a crew came in from amarillo texas and beat my price by 100.00 a thousand and he let them do his work.
i still run into the builder now and then and he will ask me if i have time to do a job for him and i tell him i am too busy.he called me about 6 months ago and asked me for advice on laying adheered veener stone,again i told him i was not in the business of teaching and that he should enroll in a masonry class.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah, beautiful....when a guy tells you he has 10 more houses, that means, almost 100%, that some other chump will be doing them. Guaranteed. That's like code in GC terms...Never, ever, reduce your price for these gasbags....Unless he's willing to give you all ten at that time....and see how that works out....

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
That is the "Wimpy Gambit". "I will gladly pay you Wednesday for a hamburger today".

The proper response is, "Give me my price on this job, and if it goes well I will give you a discount on the contract for the next 10 houses".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went in a subdivision doing their block walls, the numbers looked really tight, but it was one wall right after the other, we ended up making really good money just because we weren't running across town every other day to a different job, thus loosing a day here and half a day there, so I think those big companies are a really good option.

- www.masonryworktools.com

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the input everybody. A lot of points I did not consider or just didn't know at all. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts