Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone driving a late model Dodge 3/4 ton? Reviews? Diesel or Hemi?

I am considering buying a new truck, 3/4, crew cab for sure. Always bought Fords, and like them, but these Dodges are pretty reasonable.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I wouldn't go for anything new with a diesel in it. Too much EPA crap on it. If I were to buy a diesel truck, it would be a model before all the EPA emission regulations took effect, so I think that puts it somewhere before 2003. Also the old 5.9 Cummins is just better than the new 6.7.

·
Super Moderator
24,714 Posts
I've had a couple of the old Power Wagons in the 70's.

My chief complaint about Dodge is that back then & now they seem very tinny and very utilitarian. Plus I just don't fit very well in the new ones.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
More oil companies are going to the Tradesman Dodge set up...probably like the work truck package offered by GM....I have no idea what the comparable Ford is. The 6.2 Hemi is supposed to be a good engine, and around here, CNG compatible is the key.

If I were buying a new truck, I would go gas, and very likely CNG. No more dually diesels since DOT is getting so rough on us.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I have had some Chevys and mostly Fords over the years. Now I have gravitated to Dodge. My work truck is not late model, like you requested. 5.9 liter, 3/4 ton. I get around 15 mpg, the cab has more room on the interior than Ford (I have a F350 also) I have no complaints about the truck. Our next work truck will be a Dodge. For my personal truck I traded in a F150 for a 2004 Dodge 1500. 4 door, AWD, 5.7 Hemi. 90,000 miles now. Bought it in 2006. No complaints so far.
In the mid 90s Dodge had a huge problem with the transmissions. I haven't heard about the transmisson problems for a long time. I think they all have issues at some point.
The Chevy's aren't as comfortable to me, on the inside. Just my personal preference.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't think you can get a better diesel truck but buy do you ever pay for them.

When I bought my 1/2 ton outdoorsman they had the exact truck in 3/4 ton with the diesel.

My truck : $42,300
3/4 with Cummins: $73,000

I don't haul anything super heavy and 30K can buy a pile of gas.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a 1997 2500 4x4 with a manual 5 speed with a ladder rack and get 13 MPG. I owned a lot of fords but I an really happy with this truck

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drive a 2006 G56 SRW Crewcab long bed. With the Cummins diesel I average 23+ mpg all day long.

Diesel vs. Hemi is more a matter of driving style/use of the truck, most people I know average 13-16 in the hemi and 16-18 in the 6.7, but that is mainly because of EPA emissions on them. Personally I don't see why so many people hate on the diesel because of price when you almost always recoup the cost difference on resell.

I bought my truck used 4 years ago and it is still worth what I paid for it because of the high demand for the used 5.9 diesels. Just don't know if I would have bought the diesel solely based on fuel mileage if I was buying new today, as I don't think the difference is as great.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have an ram 2500 with the Cummins, 165000 miles and no major problems. Front end needed all the usual stuff a little early and I had to replace a high pressure injector line twice but that's about it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts