Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Dodge Cummins VS Silverado?

6K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  FRAME2FINISH 
#1 ·
#9 ·
A buddy of mine did this similar thing to me once on an old dirt road in the spring time many yrs ago. Were we off roading on this seasonal rd and i got stuck with my 1980 F-150 2X4 so he pulled me out with his 1979 F250 4X4. Everyone else behind us had 4X4's so i was the only 2X4 and i had gone everywhere they did so far that day so he got ballsy and decided that after pulling me out of this ditch i had slid in he would pull the rest of the way out. I told him no that the road was fine and there was no need to pull me that to stop and unhook. Well, he pulled me out and away we went. I waited for him to stop, nothing, i honked the horn and he waved. I matted the gas and drove right into him, he matted the gas and gave me a yank. I floored the gas again and drove into him as hard as i could and when his matted the gas again i floored the brake. The chain popped and from there is free game, i drove back into him and started shoving him as hard as i could. He overpower my truck with his brakes and got the hint i wasnt playing games. Everyone else in the group was laughing and eventually we calmed down and laughed. To this day he assures me if he has to tow me for any reason that he will only go as far as stated.

#17 · (Edited)
Not all 3/4 tons got the raised hood. Especially in the early years of that body style (99-01) Though chevys

or he has the "HD 1500"

The HD variant is a heavy-duty light truck. It is a strengthened version of the Silverado/Sierra light-duty, and is available in the 1500HD, 2500HD, and 3500 models. The 1500HD, introduced in 2001, offers a Vortec 6000 V8 with 300 hp (224 kW) at 5200 rpm and 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm with a Hydra-Matic 4L80E four-speed automatic transmission. The 2500HD also offers an available Duramax V8 with 300 hp (224 kW) at 3100 rpm and 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) of torque at 1800 rpm. Also available is the Vortec 8100 V8 with 340 hp (254 kW) at 4200 rpm and 455 lb·ft (617 N·m) of torque at 3200 rpm.

#22 ·
As Golden view mentioned its now less about what type of engine and more about weight and traction. Most new trucks can spin all 4 tires in the dry. If you have the weight and traction you could pull a Diesel version of the same truck as long as you had the weight and traction. You could have a 1000ftlb beast of a truck but if your running off road tires and a guy in a 300ftlb truck has performance road tires then he's gonna win. Thats why i think these tests are stupid but they are funny.

#25 ·
Ya the chevy is either a 1500HD, 2500 or 3500. You couldn't get a 4 door with a 6.5ft bed in the 1500s... To put a 6.0 against a modded cummins is crazy, even a mild built 6.0 against a stock cummins would likely be the same story. .... Maybe even a duramax...

Now there had to be some back story to this... Or dodge guy is just the local crazy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.