Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the flu a couple days ago and man do I feel like pounded hamburger.. I tried to work the last two days and after about 2 hours each day just rolled up and went home. Do you guys work when you are sick? I mean there have been times I have HAD to meet a deadline and all.. but just wondering what you guys do.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
A cold yes.The flu no.The flu usually knock me on my butt.

Reactions: nEighter

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I got a cootie shot in the 3rd grade...I have immunity.

·
Registered
515 Posts
C'mon....man up nEighter! Just kidding. Every once in awhile I'll get something that kicks my butt and then I'm down for the count. Some nasty stuff going around here in Omaha, not sure if it's the H1N1 or not. Luckily, whatever it is, it hasnt hit me......yet. Nothing worse then working when you're sick.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
If I've got just a cold or something, I'll try to catch up on paperwork or something and avoid contact with others to keep them from getting what I got.

But if it's bad, yea, I'll sack out all day.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I've got just a cold or something, I'll try to catch up on paperwork or something and avoid contact with others to keep them from getting what I got.

But if it's bad, yea, I'll sack out all day.

I agree with sparky... No need to get customers (current or possible future) or employees sick, if it can be avoided.

On another note, when I was working in the field, I felt I couldn't work. If my head was clouded from the flu, I didn't want to hurt myself or anyone else because of my hindered abilities do to my symptoms.

·
Banned
66 Posts
you could work with the flu and recuperate in 4 weeks or take a few days off and recuperate in a week...
those that claim you should tough it out are not tough,they are ignorant.
take a few days off and get some strenth back otherwise your work will suffer as well and that can't be good.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Like most guys, cold-ya got no choice but to power through; flu-stick your azz to home and drink loads of fluids and triple layer clothes and sweat that beeotch out so you can get back at it.

no workie-no payie, so i push are hard as i can as long as i can, but i'm human, so many times i try to recoup and if need be line up "busy work" for the fella's so they dont make us go backwards with some stupid decsion on their part if i'm not around to give the ultimate okay

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I worked sick tuesday and i shouldnt have. Tearing a roof off to add full second story and i spent most of the time sleeping in my truck. Been a long time since i had the flu hit me like this did.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When your really sick with anything you should stay home and get well.
Because a relapse will be even worst than the first time being sick.
My wife got the flu 3 times last year and everytime it was worst and the 3rd time she had to stay in the hospital. It was only the normal flu not the N1H1.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
We were talkin bout this today. When I miss work for not feeling well, it generally means that I am hospitalized. In the last 15 years, I have maybe 2 sick days that were not hospital related. We usually work outside so I dont feel that I would make anyone else sick. I am also in pretty good health overall, except for the occasional staph infection (2005) and meningitis(1996). I try to set a good example by being there even when I dont feel great.

·
Registered
440 Posts
People not staying home is why there are 2,000+ cases of H1N1 swine flu in the college dorms at WSU in Pullman WA right now.

Stay home.

·
Banned
538 Posts
if i can walk and im not squirtin or pukin i'll go in. i sometimes get rashed up pretty good on my inner thighs and that will leave me worthless because i cant walk. which really sucks because i feel fine, im not sick, i just literally cant walk. HOWEVER if i am obviously sick and getting worse i'll ask for a day or two off. i'd rather lose a couple days then wait until im deathly ill.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts