Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was hanging some Hardibacker in a shower the other day, I'm of course wearing my P100 mask, scoring and snapping outside, etc. Then I thought - just the way I just finished tearing and ripping apart this old bathroom, some day the new bathroom I'm building will be an old bathroom and some other guy will take a pry bar and start ripping apart these walls and floors. And only after he's thrown up a big cloud of dust might he notice a little sticker on the back of one board warning about dust and silicosis.

So, should we be providing some kind of label somewhere - like maybe inside the vanity, or I don't know where - but something to say "hey, don't just tear into this stuff.."???

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Needn't worry, each successive generation
is incrementally more paranoid. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I wear a mask whenever I demo, regardless. I think that should be common sense. I mean we deal with lead and asbestos. No visible stickers were ever left for us. Actually, we pay to have tests performed to see if what we're demo'ing is dangerous or not.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Needn't worry, each successive generation
is incrementally more paranoid. :thumbsup:
Is that a media thing or just a sign that the marijuana farmers are perfecting their trade?:whistling

I wear a mask whenever I demo, regardless. I think that should be common sense. I mean we deal with lead and asbestos. No visible stickers were ever left for us. Actually, we pay to have tests performed to see if what we're demo'ing is dangerous or not.
We are all going to die soon enough. Evidently my time may be before yours.
I have not been near as cautious as you have. Just dumb I guess.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I always do a test section of anything I am doing demo on.

I always insist on mask and protective gear when doing demo.

I always treat demo like I am dealing with asbestos, cause you never know.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Breathe deep the gathering gloom...

Everyone has to die... Why not silicosis??:laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
We are all going to die soon enough. Evidently my time may be before yours.
I have not been near as cautious as you have. Just dumb I guess.
Not sure how old you are Gus, but my body is aging a lil quicker than the numbers say. I have recently been making a concerted effort to be more cautious with my health. While I am going to die, I don't want my fleeting years to be a big pain....for me or those who'll have to take care of me.

It took about 4 hours today to get my back to stop hurting after I woke up. Getting old sucks for the body, but dang do I wish I had my knowledge of today when I was 21 :clap:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Not sure how old you are Gus, but my body is aging a lil quicker than the numbers say. I have recently been making a concerted effort to be more cautious with my health. While I am going to die, I don't want my fleeting years to be a big pain....for me or those who'll have to take care of me.

It took about 4 hours today to get my back to stop hurting after I woke up. Getting old sucks for the body, but dang do I wish I had my knowledge of today when I was 21 :clap:
I was born in the Eisenhower administration. I too am losing the lube in the joints.
Don't let my humor confuse you. I love being healthy and fight to stay active. I refuse to have my body dictate what activity I may participate in. I choose not to go balls to the walls playing hard anymore but I can still play.

But like you mentioned, I wish I was more cautious as a young man.

I use this picture of Neo as inspiration to stay strong as I age.:thumbsup:

Muscle Picture frame Poster Bodybuilding Art

Reactions: neolitic

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That is a good one for # 1000. :thumbsup:
I'm glad you are here:party:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,230 Posts
I have recently been making a concerted effort to be more cautious with my health.
Then it's too late already. :laughing:

It took about 4 hours today to get my back to stop hurting after I woke up.
You can get it to stop?!? God bless you, my son. :thumbsup:

Neo has it right; warning labels would be cute, but in reality you need to look out for yourself. Unfortunately, most of us learn that lesson way too late in life to do anything really significant toward prolonging it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Breathe deep the gathering gloom...

... Watch lights fade from every room.

Don't worry about it.
There will probably need to be abatement qualified contractors available for just about every tear off in a few years.

All contractors will have to attend a couple years of schooling to test,tear out, handle , dispose of ,and retest every project we approach.

Maybe, by then,we'll all be old farts posting what a mess this business has become since the Gov. got involved and succumb to bureaucratic landslide of paperwork before the silicosis kicks in.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Congrats Angus on #1000........ Now you too are an Over The Hill CT Member!

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I was born in the Eisenhower administration. I too am losing the lube in the joints.
Don't let my humor confuse you. I love being healthy and fight to stay active. I refuse to have my body dictate what activity I may participate in. I choose not to go balls to the walls playing hard anymore but I can still play.

But like you mentioned, I wish I was more cautious as a young man.

I use this picture of Neo as inspiration to stay strong as I age.:thumbsup:
OK, so you got me by 2 presidents :laughing:

Most of my injuries are sports related from my youth. I was semi-pro and an olympian candidate before I realized walking was more important. I have always taken good care of myself. I just never had to do "extra". Well, I'm at that point. If I don't take my daily "cocktail" of supplements, the body starts to complain. It's not that I've been careless with construction, it's that I beat the crap out of myself years ago. Now I have to do extra just to get along without issues!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts