Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
Many of the laborers they hire are knuckle-draggers, especially after the hurricane. Our local branch was billing $100k a day

·
Registered
Remodel
26,699 Posts
Use guys use a jab saw to cut out the back of a cabinet?

Depends. Hardboard doesn't cut well at all with a jab saw, and I can't get get a drywall router in for a full cut with the sink and plumbing in place. If I'm going to patch the cutout by making a full back out of hardboard or plywood (this is usual for me), having a nice, smooth edge cut isn't such a big deal. A multimaster is really good for doing these cuts, but I always have a jab saw and a utility knife.

In other words, yes, I will, and then I'll put a full back in over what is left of the old.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,699 Posts
The part I don't understand is why the insurance company's pay it. There's smaller local flood restoration company's around here who charge 1/10th what servepro do.
They're comfortable with them. It's like medical billing - you have to know the insurance system and what they pay for what things, and how to work it. You also have to be financially stable, reliable, etc. Ins cos recommend them because they have a working relationship - it easy for the ins guys.

Here's another dodge. Get a false positive on a field lead test. I've seen it done on trim that was less than 2 years old with latex paint after a fire (fires give false positives). Basically brand new drywall, trim, flooring, but now you get to charge for lead procedures. Whether you follow them or not is another question.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
hdavis said:
They're comfortable with them. It's like medical billing - you have to know the insurance system and what they pay for what things, and how to work it. You also have to be financially stable, reliable, etc. Ins cos recommend them because they have a working relationship - it easy for the ins guys. Here's another dodge. Get a false positive on a field lead test. I've seen it done on trim that was less than 2 years old with latex paint after a fire (fires give false positives). Basically brand new drywall, trim, flooring, but now you get to charge for lead procedures. Whether you follow them or not is another question.
Perhaps they only bill the insurance company 1/10th what the HO is told. That way they can keep rates high because your thinking you got a great deal from your insurance company.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,699 Posts
Perhaps they only bill the insurance company 1/10th what the HO is told. That way they can keep rates high because your thinking you got a great deal from your insurance company.
No, they really do bill that much. The insurance company is more worried about having mold spread leading to a bigger tear out. In bigger claims, the rebuild costs a lot more than the tear out / remediation, so they're used to not paying as much attention to tear out / remediation costs, they just want it done fast and completely so no more tear out / remediation is needed. That's what ins cos fear - having to do a full gut because it didn't get dried out and treated fast enough.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
No, they really do bill that much. The insurance company is more worried about having mold spread leading to a bigger tear out. In bigger claims, the rebuild costs a lot more than the tear out / remediation, so they're used to not paying as much attention to tear out / remediation costs, they just want it done fast and completely so no more tear out / remediation is needed. That's what ins cos fear - having to do a full gut because it didn't get dried out and treated fast enough.
That's crazy they bill them that much. what gets me is if they want it done right then why not tear out the whole sheets instead of just a couple of inches from where it got wet. Seems like they do half ass work for triple quality work prices :blink:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
the restoration company hired me to repipe some of the bathroom...they are a steady customer of mine....it was not part of their restoration of the kitchen(fire)....while the ceiling of the kitchen was open they saw some drain issues and figured it was time to repipe...

they wont kill me on price...I know it will be under $1,000....

im more annoyed at the homeowner.....and frustrated with my self

the pipes were literally touching the back of the plywood cabinet....there was no way to cut the back of the cabinet with any power tool and not hit the pipe......the homeowner reacting slowly made the water going off take twice as long...I run into the basement...no light switches...basement full of stuff...I cant see anything...im running up/down the stairs yelling for her 'where are the lights? where is the main shut off?' ...I don't know if she was in a fetal position under a table or what...finally she came down and got a light on for me...I had to climb over her stuff to turn it off....then she started crying and feeling sorry for herself....very annoying to me......I told her it did no damage other than the wet demo'd kitchen floor(which was 2/3rd dry before I left 2 hours later)....then she started asking about electrical fires from getting her basement fridge wet..and I knew she was beyond someone I could reason with...I just started to clean up to make the jobsite look as good as it could for the fire/water resto guys....we will see if I ever get a job from them again after this...most likely not...they are good guys to deal with and I see they had no choice once the homeowner called them

she also called earlier to complain about me making dust...I over heard her in the next room....she wanted a filter....I made a couple of holes in her bath walls for the repipe and she ran up to put rags under all the bedroom doors...then she went on and on about opening the window and the horrible smell from the glue/cleaner..

she is not a 100% functioning adult....and my hands are full of cuts and bumps, my nose is full of black cast iron dust and my back hurts today.....worst of all? I made nothing

yea it was a bad week....when im slow the crap jobs come out of the woodwork and I run to do them....Jan/Feb always suck....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't know servpro, but I knew a local guy who used to do insurance work all over the province. Biggest cheat I ever met. He'd buy twice the drywall needed for a job and send half back. He'd submit a bill for the whole pile though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Huggy,
Between the broken faucet thread and this one I am thinking you don't even want to use the shower for a week in protest of plumbing..
Hang in there..we have all been there..back when I had my BIL working with me..he installed a kitchen sink cabinet with a 2" screw right into the cold water line..ran around for 5 minutes frantically looking for cut-off until I flipped the meter cover by the street and cut his and the neighbors water off..Plumber came out and $125 later we were back on the job.

I learn from every mistake...hopefully they cost less than $100 most of the time..

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I keep a water shut off key in all trucks and who ever is the lead has one. Not many in house shutoffs around here. Just for that reason, can't second guess others' stupidity-no matter how you try

In your neck of the woods ----- ALWAYS (I'm not a plumber) made sure where the shutoff/s were- Meter location, pressure tank and the likes. Before doing any demo, period. Especially in baths and kitchens, just never know what you'll run into. THo I believe it's better to leave the water on and find a leak from demo real time vs at the end of the day when you turn the water back on and OH SH!T.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I actually thought of this thread, yesterday when I was working in a hotel ,,, none of the pipes or wires were marked on the face of the sheet rock.... So when I went to cover over the sheet rock with a cement sheet I got a horrible feeling that there would be pipes in the wall, so I chopped a couple of inspection holes and boom a main water pipe .. And to add to it they had put screws into it... There were no leaks tho... So hopefully they just missed it

·
Registered
547 Posts
$1000 a day for a super dehumidifier.

A couple of years ago. Pipe in bath froze and burst, water ran after it got warmer for 2 days down and outside through the garage. They removed all drywall, all ducts, wiring, pipes,all floors, all subfloors everything including 8 to 10 joists. Sprayed white stuff on all that remained.

Billed ins co for over $100k
Why not just build a new house for that?????

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
Why not just build a new house for that?????
Building a new house for $100k here is not going to happen. Avg price in that area $600k-$900k.

The insurance company pays whatever they charge I think because of future litigation.

·
General Contractor
7,940 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to be blunt, but how the F you cut a water line or anything for that matter especially when you cutting in the vicinity of pipe locations? Did you use a chain saw to cut the hole?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to be blunt, but how the F you cut a water line or anything for that matter especially when you cutting in the vicinity of pipe locations? Did you use a chain saw to cut the hole?
Plumbers own two hole cutting tools, a hammer and a sawzall, if the hammer won't make it though I'm guessing it's a sawzall.

Reactions: Squench

·
General Contractor
7,940 Posts
Inner10 said:
Plumbers own two hole cutting tools, a hammer and a sawzall, if the hammer won't make it though I'm guessing it's a sawzall.
I hear you... I guess some plumbers need to change the way they do things so s^*t like this don't happen lol

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I hear you... I guess some plumbers need to change the way they do things do s^*t like this don't happen lol
I had a wire to repair and needed to install a fire rated access door, I told the project manager just give me the cut-out size and I will do it. He told me he would rather have his carpenter do it since the hole needs to be perfectly square. I replied "what do you think I am a plumber?":laughing:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts