Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically never stray too far from home. But work has been slow and I am going through my saving quickly. I got a call for a job a couple days ago to finish some drywall. Its one of my favorite things to do.

When I price out drywall finishing I do it by sheet, This job is 140 sheets and would put a few nice coins in my pocket.

Only problem is that its 160 miles away. So if I do it I would have to get hotel for the week and spend the week away from family. Plus it cuts into profit with those extra costs. So not only am I away from home I will be making less then I normally do. Gas, hotel, food, Gonna be a few bucks that I normally don't have to pay.

Do you guys ever have to travel and be away from home for work?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes I'll try to put on some for the additional cost but getting it is 50/50. I have zero pride I'll wax cars if it put's bank in place. Just go do the job your sitting anyway right.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My crews work out of town quite regularly. I pay for the hotels, give the guys per diem and the foreman's a have gas cards.

You just have to incorporate your additional expenses into your proposal. It can sometimes be difficult to be competitive with these additional expenses. Only you can decide what you are willing to work for....

·
Working
4,127 Posts
My crews work out of town quite regularly. I pay for the hotels, give the guys per diem and the foreman's a have gas cards.

You just have to incorporate your additional expenses into your proposal. It can sometimes be difficult to be competitive with these additional expenses. Only you can decide what you are willing to work for....

100% correct

We work over the road and sometimes very far away. 15+ hour drive away. Just add the cost into the bid price. Call ahead on hotels they will give huge discounts on weekly rates.

Cole

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well said Cole, I forgot to mention calling ahead. Prices for hotels can be substantially higher/lower in different areas. Same goes for equipment rental rates.

We did a job in Austin, TX this year and the hotels and equipment pricing was much higher than in the St. Louis market.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I do, I itemize travel time, expenses, food, lodging etc.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
If im busy I like to stay within 45 miniutes to an hour of the shop. I dont work in Austin unless its commercial. If im going to travel its usually commercial.

For a few clients, I would go anywhere they needed work done. I just poured a big driveway and built a metal building down south 2.5 hours. May gut a high rise apartment in Houston this next year.

Definitely add money in for your additional expenses and time, and make it worth your while. I will not charge the same rate I do here when I have the PITA of travel.

4 years ago I built a simple 4 bedroom ranch almost 2 hours away. It was very slow, and we needed work. I didnt add much in it. As soon as we poured the foundation the phone started ringing...

·
Kowboy
2,465 Posts
I got a call from a guy for whom I've been doing work for 30 years. An architect moved an appliance and violated ADA without my altering the cabinet and countertop. It's a retail store, so there are penalties for opening late so competitive bidding takes a back seat to reliability.

I charged $2,900.00 for 6 hours work but it wasn't all that when you figure in the 15 hours of driving each way, fuel, the hotel, and meals. I'd do it again though if I were slow.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes. Traveled 7000 miles with my new job the last 4 months. Owner pays for hotel, travel time one way, but no per diem. He incorporates all that into overhead.

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
For the right price, most guys I know in the industry will travel. That being said, there is concerns about long distance jobs: why can't they find a contractor closer to the location? Is there a problem with a bad reputation, bad payment history?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I've done nothing but travel this year. Bought my truck a year ago and put over 30,000 miles on it already, and we stayed on the job a lot of the time.

Bought new tires three weeks ago and I think I have nearly 1,500 miles on them already. Luckily we haven't traveled as much this month. :laughing:

The saving grace for us is I've have had empty houses to stay in this year. That makes it much easier to bid the jobs.

You gotta do what you gotta do. I hate traveling, but it would have been a very slow year if I hadn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts