Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are still trying to make a decision about a new software program. We are seeking something integrated with estimating, project management, and all inclusive accounting. We are a general contractor doing about 4 million per year. We do mostly Commercial and Public Works jobs.

Anyone out there in a similar position that uses or has used Timberline?

I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,

~tee

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've used it in the recent past, and it's got a very long learning curve, as well as tons of data input to get your pricing and systems into the program. We were planning to implement just the estimating portion in an office doing $350-400 million per year, and it was more of a hassle than what we would have gained over just using Excel for our estimates.

A lot has to do with how much work you self-perform vs subcontract, and also your average job size. If you need to know how many sheets of drywall, pounds of screws, etc., that's one thing, vs just having a subcontractor perform your carpentry and drywall. If you're doing 50 jobs at $80,000 each, that's a lot different than doing 4 jobs at $1,000,000 each, also.

Think long and hard on the purchase- get a working demo copy, see what's involved in getting the data input (it's a painful process, even importing from Excel- you've got to dump Excel to Access to Timberline, and one wrong value in the wrong cell wrecks everything), and budget for someone to spend enormous amounts of time just keeping the system up to date.

Best of luck,

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob Kovacs said:
If you need to know how many sheets of drywall, pounds of screws, etc., that's one thing, vs just having a subcontractor perform your carpentry and drywall.
Thanks for the response. I'm slightly confused about the statement above. Is the program not suitable to break down estimating at that level? We do sub out quite a bit of work. However, we do much of the drywall, framing, painting etc. in house. Can you clarify for me.

Thanks,
~tee

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
What I meant was, the program's perfect for giving you that type of detail- you can create smart assemblies for different wall types, and answer a few questions- stud spacing/guage, drywall thickness, etc., and it'll spit out a full materials takeoff.

If you don't need that kind of detail, Timberline is far too cumbersome vs carrying sub numbers.

Bob

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tee, you might want to checkout goldenseal it has most of the features a smaller contractor needs and is geared to this market. I agree with the comments about timberline,its much more than you need at this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts