Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Do you put in additional support under fiberglass shower receptors?

• No extra support

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mortar / cement based

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Structolite

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 14.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Have not done one in a while but have always used mortar.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
When using anything, always check the manufacturer's specs--for tubs as well.

For instance, American Standard's Americast tubs are NOT to be installed in a mortar bed. It voids the warranty.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
"I support Under Shower Receptors and will stand by them in good times and bad!":laughing:

Reactions: Mike Finley

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Last one I did in January was set in Structo by the plumber. He didn't use enough, so there were voids. We filled a couple of mushy spots with High-X foam and it did the trick.

Not ideal, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. :whistling

BTW, there was no option for Structolite AND Foam.:laughing:

·
4,617 Posts
Do you support under shower receptors?
Yes, yes I do. I think every shower should have a receptor. They are such nice things to have, and hard workers, although, they don't talk much. I wouldn't want my son to marry one, though.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,309 Posts
Expanding foam is what my plumbers use. If I set it, I use mortar.
Just wondering if you have any long-term statistics on that? All of my instincts scream at me that foam will compress over time, and you'll wind up with voids under the pan. But I confess that never having tried it, I don't actually know that's the case.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ive never had any issues with using expanding foam ,either squeaking or movement. Ive never done it on my own,the plumber has always been the one to use it and its always on shower receptors-not tubs. When I install the receptor I have always used mortar (unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts