Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a job recently, and I talked it up - problem with an out of square opening? no problem, I'll just re-frame it a bit then in goe's the door etc etc. I haven't done that before, I just fixed the problems and kept quiet. This last job, I did a walk about with the HO when he got home from work every day- we'd go over stuff done, stuff that I'd identified as "maybe problems" and stuff for the next day.
I'm not sure, but I think that by communicating with them so much- finding problems, fixing them etc. made a difference.
they had purchased 5 30" solid core pre-hungs about a year back. The two bathrooms has existing 28" prehungs. uh oh.
no problem! I just renovated the openings and installed the doors. Charged them 350 (7 hrs work)They were delighted, so much that at the end of the job they gave me a 250 tip!!! (trimed out windows, new bifolds, new doors, 250' baseboard etc etc)
I suppose that it doesn't hurt that he's a tradesman as well! and they got a really nice dog too LOL

all other customers are now measured against these folks!

I'm thinkin that I'll do that on future jobs too- talk it up.

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Sounds like you made an impression with these folks...nice job:thumbsup:

I think each customer is different, I have some that want a blow-by-blow account of what we have done for each project, and others that could care less - "let me know when it's done" type of attitude.

I talk it up, when it seems applicable, and just present the finished product to those who want it done.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,798 Posts
Since were telling stories about good customer relations, I'll tell one.

About 7 years ago, I was sanding floors for a client. I'm pretty sure we were working for them on a Saturday or Sunday, not sure which. The room had originally been a back porch with face nailed fir flooring. They liked the looks of the exposed nails, so we sanded right over them. We had to run to town at lunch for a couple things & forgot to empty the sander bags. Yeah, you guessed it, a spark from one of the nails had ignited the sawdust & it sat there smoldering. The husband was sick in bed in the basement & the wife came home while we were out, to find the house full of smoke. Fortunately, she got the bag off the sander & out of the house. When we got back, she was apologizing all over herself for ruining our sander bag.

I was mortified at the fact that my actions could have easily killed her husband & apologized over & over again. At the end of that job, I got a $200 tip. Since then, I've worked for them at least a half dozen times, as recently as yesterday. I've literally gotten over $10,000 worth of referal work from them over the years as well.

Musta done something to sell myself to them, huh?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You have to point things out. I do a walk through and let them take it in for a bit, and just listen and answer any questions.

Then I draw attention to things that I know they didn't see. "So, I decided to trim this out here..." "Oh mygod I didn't even see that!! WOW!", "...and yeah, let me show you how this storage gate works so you don't have call me in the middle of the night wondering how to get your husband out" "Ohmygod that is soooooo coool",
"and uh, oh I almost forgot, I did that adjustment to the (whatever) that you mentioned yester.." Ohmygod that's perfect, I think that works better like that, thank you so much for doing that..."

"...you're right it does..."

"...I hope you didn't think I was being a pain...."

"...not at all................"

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am fortunate most of my customers have been great.

The best was an older couple. We are shigling a house. The older gentleman from next door comes over and says that when they did his lean to roof with metal they did not install flashing!!!! I figure oh great a job that is more hassle then it is worth. I give him a high price. He says to do it. We get done about 4:00 the next day at the shingling job. Go for supper then over to do this flashing. We have to peel up some vinyl put in the flashing, faom closures and caulk. Turned out easy and was less than 2 hours. So he says to come in for coffee. We do he writes out a cheque for me, then says how much for my helper. I tell him no that was the total price. They write him out a cheque anyway. Then a week later I get another cheque in the mail. I made over $100/hour on a job that i did not want!!! Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts