Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been out of the paint business for years, but have recently gotten back on some multi-jobs.
Anyways, I needed some flat oil to do a ceiling. I saw Super-hide for like $60! What!?!
It was only $15 back when I was working in a store and doing some painting (maybe $20 for oil). I asked the girl about Sani-flat, and she just gave me a look. Told me that's what they have for oil. But, this was the cheap stuff years ago!?
Yes, that's the contractors line. (I feel so out of the game with Benny changing all his product names and gouging prices so high!). And a lot of their paint seems thinner. Almost like Pratt & Lamberts.
Whatcha think?

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
I've been out of the paint business for years, but have recently gotten back on some multi-jobs.
Anyways, I needed some flat oil to do a ceiling. I saw Super-hide for like $60! What!?!
It was only $15 back when I was working in a store and doing some painting (maybe $20 for oil). I asked the girl about Sani-flat, and she just gave me a look. Told me that's what they have for oil. But, this was the cheap stuff years ago!?
Yes, that's the contractors line. (I feel so out of the game with Benny changing all his product names and gouging prices so high!). And a lot of their paint seems thinner. Almost like Pratt & Lamberts.
Whatcha think?
The value of a Dollar just don't cut it,Gas used to be a dollar now it's 4 dollars so that means a dollar is really only worth a quarter dollar.:sad:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Don't remember the sani flat. Oil finish paints are done except for quarts and industrial finishes, in Ohio anyway.

Price of paint is crazy but has at least stabilized over the last few years.

Pratt and Lambert were bought out by Sherwin Williams so you don't see P & T anymore.

Yes regarding todays paints being thinner, it is all to do with fast drying and VOC regs. If you need oil for a ceiling try SW Problock primer with a finish coat of SW Eminence.

·
Painting Contractor
82 Posts
I remember both. Now bm has Ceiling paint. A great quality dead flat paint. In their new gennex tinting system. I also use BM Ultra spec flat for ceilings.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Saying you needed flat oil to do a ceiling shows you've been out of the business for a LONG time. Everything now is based on low or no VOC's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damon T said:
I remember both. Now bm has Ceiling paint. A great quality dead flat paint. In their new gennex tinting system. I also use BM Ultra spec flat for ceilings.
I know they still have the Muresco (sp? 258 01). My favorite ceiling paint used to be the Muralo. Was the brightest flat white around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SuperiorHIP said:
Saying you needed flat oil to do a ceiling shows you've been out of the business for a LONG time. Everything now is based on low or no VOC's.
The ceiling was textured. I scraped off an area and it was oil...
The job is done. So you're saying I should of used latex over it:)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts