Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Internet Marketing Agency
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to talk about backlinks and why it's important not just to build backlinks but to get them from many different sources. Anybody who's been doing any SEO work at all on their website knows that getting good backlinks is a real pain in the butt. The question is why we do it.

Quite simply, for the foreseeable future Google, Yahoo, Bing use backlinks to determine not just the popularity but the authority status of your website. Now there are some who say that link popularity will be devalued by the search engines in favor of some other type of algorithm. It's my opinion based on my experiences that until we see a major shift in the HTTP protocols that backlinks will continue to be the way search engines rank websites.

Does this mean that backlinks are the only thing that counts? Absolutely not, if you do not have your pages optimized you will still have problems ranking even though you are building plenty of backlinks .

Back to backlinks, in the beginning it was easy to get your website ranked high in the search engines. All you had to do was load up your pages with the keywords you target. The search engines would come through a spider your page see all the keywords and determine what that page was relevant for those keywords.

Over the years the search engines (Google in particular) develop ways to figure this out. You see they want to give the end-user's exactly what they're searching for. So instead of showing spammy pages that were loaded with keywords and no content they developed algorithms to sort through all the garbage.

In the meantime they needed a way to rank websites. The best way for them to tell if a website was popular was and still is the number of links pointing back to the site. You see Google views backlinks as a sort of popularity contest. That means that whoever has the most backlinks has the most popular website. Now that's a very simplistic look at what this basically how they rank sites.

Fast forward a couple years and now you have people who've learned how to manipulate the system. So now you have everybody and their brother out there trying to sell you some form of back link system. People started creating link farms, reciprocal linking co-op's, and they even got so creative as to develop three-way linking schemes.

Google looks at this and says there is got to be away to determine who is providing good content and who is just trying to trick the system. So they spent millions of dollars to develop algorithms that could detect people who are trying to spam the system.

Over the past couple of years Google has become very advanced and how they deal with backlink spamming. Basically what happens is that Google looks where the links are coming from and then tries to determine if it is from a trusted website and it is Google places more value and emphasis on that link. If Google cannot determine that the back link came from a trusted site then they devalue that link. So how does Google determine if the site should be trusted or not, basically those sites and links are verified by user data, how old the website is, and other factors that are difficult to spoof.

Here are a few tips to build good backlinks to your site.

• First of foremost provide good content
  • Make sure your content is written in a language that your target readers will understand.
  • Submit your site to DMOZ
  • Submit your site to pay directors. Just remember quality counts
  • Distribute your article through article sites, EzineArticles, GoArticles, iSnare, etc. The great thing about good article sites is that their article pages actually rank highly and send highly qualified traffic.
  • Submit a press release to PRWeb, PRLeap, etc.
  • Trade articles with other webmasters.
  • If you create something that is of great quality make sure you ask a few friends to tag it for you. If your site gets on the front page of Digg or on the Del.icio.us popular list, hundreds people will see your site, and potentially link to it.
  • Join the Better Business Bureau.
  • Submit your link to relevant city and state governmental resources
  • Answer questions on Yahoo answers and Google groups
  • Create a Squidoo Lens
  • Submit you page to Technorati, these tagged pages rank well in Yahoo and MSN
  • Create and submit short videos to the various video directories.
  • List your blog in a few of the best blog directories.

This list could go on and on but I think you get the idea. The more places your site as seen the more popular it will become. Why do you think politicians spend so much money to get on TV....

The good thing about working to get backlinks, a lot of the sites linking back to you will also send you traffic.

To close this I want to quote a sentence from SEOBook "The fundamental base of the internet is not the page, but the links"

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
@ SilverTree

DMOZ takes a hundred years to accept you. Well, maybe not that long, but it takes a while. Every site is checked by a real life, actual human being, and they have a listof sites longer than Santa's.

--

Not a big fan of directories personally, and I'm surprised you didn't mention how there is a difference between backlinks and relevant backlinks. A contractor that has 100 backlinks from places like salon.com, footrubs.net and hairdresser.info won't pull half as much search engine weight as 50 from toolsnob.com, johnnycontractor.com and the like.

Not all backlinks are created equal, and anyone that has spent time building them for a site knows what a PITA it is to get them. But they are gold as far as SEO is considered.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I submitted 2 sites to DMOZ almost 2 years ago, still don't show?
You likely submitted to the wrong category... They won't tell you they just delete.

For Contractors you should be submitting your link into the Regional categories... The directory is human edited and does take a while to get listed.

I think he meant to say "paid directories"
Yes I think he did... And paid directories are a really good one-way SEO linking strategy, provided they are relevant, not link farms and actually have some Google rank.

Personally I would concentrate on getting submitted to all of the local business and community service directories that I could. Google Maps takes these links into consideration for your local listing.

Carl

·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"paid directories" is the proper term...I dont always type very well.

DMOZ is a beast of it's own. Here is a quote from their site:

An ODP editor will review your submission to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed. Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.
Just because it gets reviewed does not mean they will include it in their directory.

Depending on the activity level of the editors in your area, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed. While the ODP is comprehensive in scope and coverage, we care a great deal about the quality of the ODP, and pride ourselves on being highly selective. We don't accept all sites, so please don't take it personally should your site not be accepted. Our goal is to make the directory as useful as possible for our users, not to have the directory include all (or even most) of the sites that could possibly be listed or serve as a promotional tool for the entities listed.
Hope this helps with DMOZ

·
Registered
401 Posts
1) If your customers have a business themselves offer to give them a link in the form of a testimonial. (ie. they write a short recommendation and it includes a link to their page on your site). Then ask them to list you on their resources page.

2) Donate money or other stuff to local charities, sports organizations, clubs in your area. Often they will include a link to the business in their thank you page.

3) Get in the local paper. Usually they have an online edition that mirrors their offline content and will automatically add the link.

4) Write a blog and start linking to other businesses and people. Form relationships and they will write about you as well.

Think outside the box

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
what exactly can DMOZ do for ME? Is a human-edited directory even relavent anymore? How effective can a directory be if it waits two years to verify a site that may in fact not even exist anymore? I am not aware of anyone who searches via DMOZ. The concept seems superfluous and obsolete at the outset. A google bot can search and index faster and more efficiently than any group of volunteer humans.

·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what exactly can DMOZ do for ME?
I'm not defending DMOZ....my guess is that if it has been 2 years then your site was not accepted for reasons only they know.

We use it for a backlink...nothing more (now this a a link from a well respected site)

This is just a recent observation and theory on my part, but I think with the new caffeine update that has been rolling out, losing backlinks really hurts your SERP's. So be careful of where you are getting your backlinks, make sure they stick and stand the test of time.
Would these four anchor text link you posted in your signature qualify as links that will stand the test of time?

http://www.aikencolon.com/bosch-power-tools-cordless-drill-battery.html
I'm not going to win anyone over to the thought that you must have backlinks going to your site. I'm just posting info that we have tested on our own sites...not just our clients. We know these techniques work because we test and track the work we to to see how effective it is.

Understand this....I have "ZERO" to gain or lose if you use or don't use the info I post on here.

We dont deal with theories....we deal with facts. I learned a long time ago that my opinion and my theories really dont mean much when it comes to marketing stuff on the internet. Thats why we develop processes and then we test them to make sure they work...if they don't we figure out why or we discontinue the process.

j

1 - 11 of 11 Posts