Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you provide brushes and rollers to your crew? If so how many do you give out and over what period of time?

Thanks.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Yep, but only for the newbies. 2 complete set-ups, but after that, they are on their own. I figure guys making journeyman wages can afford their own hand tools, plus most with experience like a particular type/brand, especially with brushes. I do supply the covers though.

In fact, attached is a list of what my painters are expected to tote to jobs. Anything with a * next to it, they are responsible for.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm no painter but I can't believe this is a question. Maybe I am ignorant to the fact because I am not a painter but I would epxcept if I were a painter that my brushes and rollers would be provided for me.

Reason? They are disposable. I provide all disposable items like knife blades to my employees. I feel it is my duty. Tools like hammers and snips, even tool belts, which a painter probably wouldn't use I expect the employee to provide for themselves.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grumpy. Paint brushes can last a long time if they are taken care of. On the other hand you can go through one a day if your not careful. That is why most painters are required to bring their own.

PWG... GREAT LIST. Thanks a lot!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ok I assumed Nathan meant roller meaning the actual roller brush, which you are calling a cover. It's obvious I am no painter because I dispose my brushes after every job. I know they can be washed but I paint so seldom that it's not worth it.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I throw away covers all the time because they take too long to clean and they never come out right when I clean them. But I've had my purdy brush for about 6 months now and it only takes about 3 minutes to clean. Good as new!

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Fairly cheap actually. It cost me $50 for the set-up, and I think it was $3.50 per drop to be silk screened. I took them to a mom and pop t-shirt shop. They do mostly sports jerseys, embroidery, and high school uniforms. I've been complimented on the drops a couple times, and it allows no other trade to be able to walk away with one of ours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pwg if you wrap your roller sleeve with tape a couple of times with 2 inch tape,when new, then unpeel the tape, it will take all the lint off the roller pad also... no lint!

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Again, I'm no professional painter (and I've said this before) but I swear by my brush/roller cover spinner. My first one lasted 10+ yrs. and it's the best $30 I ever spent for painting related supplies.

It woud be your call as to whether or not you supplied it but aside from extending the life of brusshes and roller covers I find it a big time saver for brushes when you have to switch colours/clean up.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
3" latex
3" oil
2.5" latex
2.5" oil
4" latex
broad knife
putty knife
caulk gun
bucket hook
This is the set up list for new hires. I replace brushes when they turn in the old brush. I dont replace any of the other items. Ive never really bought into painters supplying their own brushes. I pay my guys well, but figure they can probably use that money for something like grocerys,mortage,braces,etc...

I have found that a good brush (Purdy) can last for a good 8 months of heavy use. I do keep a handle on waste though. If I see someones latex brush bakeing in the sun I call them to the carpet on it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How long will a brush last? I have some of my great-grandfather's varnish brushes that see semi-regular use, others belonged to my father and date back 60 yrs. at least. Many of MY brushes go back to the 60's, varnish and paint. Treated and used properly, I don't think that you can wear out a brush in your lifetime.
In production, I find that most guys prefer Purdy for paint. The cabinet guys are all over the place, they prefer European brushes.
All that I care about is results and the numbers say that we all do excellent work.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
DecksEtc said:
...I swear by my brush/roller cover spinner. My first one lasted 10+ yrs. and it's the best $30 I ever spent for painting related supplies.
:Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
How long will a brush last?
I have a Corona that's over 10 years old
It's a little splayed, but I still use it for priming

1 - 20 of 34 Posts