Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my own GC company a few months ago. We do all of the work other than plumbing and electric. Ive been in construction for 11 years now, but this is my first venture on my own. My question is, what kind of guarantee do I put on my work? 6 months? 1 year? And do I guarantee the work of the subs? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,096 Posts
As an EC, I have 1 year on new installs, 90 days on repairs.

I think in Iowa, a builder/GC is required by law to have a 1-year warranty.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
[FONT=&quot]"At the completion of improvements or as soon thereafter as possible, Contractor shall relinquish and deliver to, assign to, and pass through to Owner all warranties and guarantees, if any, given or made by manufacturers or suppliers of appliances and equipment installed in or as a part of the real estate. Contractor shall have no responsibility with respect to any such warranties or guarantees. Contractor shall warrant the workmanship of all improvements and installations part of this agreement for a period of one (1) year after completion. Contractor’s warranty shall not cover any defects of material, appliances, or equipment otherwise covered by manufacturers warranties or any defects or failures arising out of normal wear and use. Contractor’s warranty shall not cover any unforeseen or hidden defects arising from pre-existing improvements, equipment or materials. "[/FONT]

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
What is a warranty? A written guarantee, issued to the purchaser of an article by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it if necessary within a specified period of time.
I was wondering about this too.

Celtic, can you please post a link? I know you're reading this.

In New Jersey, I believe a warranty of 1 year is law.

·
Mark
163 Posts
I started my own GC company a few months ago. We do all of the work other than plumbing and electric. Ive been in construction for 11 years now, but this is my first venture on my own. My question is, what kind of guarantee do I put on my work? 6 months? 1 year? And do I guarantee the work of the subs? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys.
I guarantee the work will be done right:thumbsup:

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Do you offer a guarantee?
I guarantee them I won't cash their check until I get to the bank.:)

I guarantee my workmanship and the workmanship of my helpers only. This includes my guarantee that I/we followed the manufacturers recommendations in all instances.

I can't guarantee the products beyond what the manufacturer offers. When I leave the job I know I won't have any call backs that are the fault of my workmanship.

SIDE BAR: Just this past week a customer with a big custom shower I just finished a few weeks ago complained that the floor grout was changing colors. I told them I had no idea why but I would replace the grout without further discussion. Three days later I was there to replace the grout. But first upon further inspection I scratched around a little to find that the discoloration was only topical. I bought some cleaner and it cleaned the stains immediately even after they claimed they had tried and tried to no avail. It is now my opinion that someone in that household died their hair and stepped into the shower to rinse the excess color out. When I suggested this as a probable cause they became very quiet and dropped the subject immediately.:blink:

That's typical of the kind of bull***** call backs I get. I guess if I had their millions I'd be hassling the worker-bees too.:)

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
I guarantee them I won't cash their check until I get to the bank.:)

I guarantee my workmanship and the workmanship of my helpers only. This includes my guarantee that I/we followed the manufacturers recommendations in all instances.

I can't guarantee the products beyond what the manufacturer offers. When I leave the job I know I won't have any call backs that are the fault of my workmanship.

SIDE BAR: Just this past week a customer with a big custom shower I just finished a few weeks ago complained that the floor grout was changing colors. I told them I had no idea why but I would replace the grout without further discussion. Three days later I was there to replace the grout. But first upon further inspection I scratched around a little to find that the discoloration was only topical. I bought some cleaner and it cleaned the stains immediately even after they claimed they had tried and tried to no avail. It is now my opinion that someone in that household died their hair and stepped into the shower to rinse the excess color out. When I suggested this as a probable cause they became very quiet and dropped the subject immediately.:blink:

That's typical of the kind of bull***** call backs I get. I guess if I had their millions I'd be hassling the worker-bees too.:)
My favorite is "color enhancing shampoo"... God what a mess that sh*t makes...

·
Registered
910 Posts
I finished a bathroom three weeks ago, collected final last week and received an e-mail just tonight titled "Leaking Pipe" -

My customer went on to explain that the kitchen sink (which we were nowhere near. Whew!) drain was dumping water and had been for sometime, and wanted an estimate. So I went upstairs to change my shorts before writing her back.

Here in Wisconsin if the warranty is not specified in writing, there is a one year implied. I offer a one year from substantial completion.

·
Registered
255 Posts
when i was roofing mostly, i gave 10 years, in writting. I knew my work was ggod, could have been 30 years... it's not the material you warrant. But you have to pass on that paper work to them.

Any warranty is only as good as the paper its written on if the company doesnt stand behind it.

The 10 years sounds like over kill,,, but where i really get the pickled look is when i tell them it's fully transferrable. To any owner of the property. And it's in writing.... haven't had a call back for any repair in 18 years... except for one here lately. Bummed me out bad to ruin that record.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts