Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing this on the Contractors Club Forum about 2 weeks ago and I am making a concerted effort to sharpen my daily involvement skills with other, previously unknown to me, contractors in related but different trades.

I am going to be meeting up for lunch one of the next 2 days with Dave of Tiger Electric, who I happened to have the pleasure of meeting once before at my office, when he was seeking some information and advice regarding Mechanic's Liens.

Well, we are going to follow through and meet again.

Yesterday, when I was leaving my Bank, a Hispanic Remodeling Contractor was getting out of his truck to make his way in.

I caught his attention and we wound up talking outside for about 20-30 minutes and sharing business cards.

It just so happened, that he was a very bright contractor who despised illegal labor and the proliferation of untrained immigrants into the trades as much as the next guy yo meet on the forums.

So, time ran short, but I intend on contacting him again and see if I can set up a short coffee or lunch meeting with him too.

Eventually, what I will wind up doing, is creating a cross-referral circle of trusted contractor associates, where we can each supply our customers with list, or actually a professionally printed pamphlet which describes each of the trades listed, along with some consumer advice and relative tips, which can be left as a leave behind to benefit the other members in the circle.

Additionally, statistics state, that consumers who do one type of remodeling project are more likely to do something else in the near future, economic times considering.....

So, all of the generated leads could be compiled into a local direct mail demographic list of available know consumers to create a shared data base from.

What are you guys doing to improve this type of free lead generation potential?

Ed

·
World Champion
141 Posts
I do this somewhat, it has been good. I want to get more serious with it but i always have thought in the back of my head wondering if the guys in the circle are going to potentially make you look bad, by doing bad work. All it takes is one time. I would like to work only with high end top-notch companies!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was discussing this on the Contractors Club Forum about 2 weeks ago and I am making a concerted effort to sharpen my daily involvement skills with other, previously unknown to me, contractors in related but different trades.

I am going to be meeting up for lunch one of the next 2 days with Dave of Tiger Electric, who I happened to have the pleasure of meeting once before at my office, when he was seeking some information and advice regarding Mechanic's Liens.

Well, we are going to follow through and meet again.

Yesterday, when I was leaving my Bank, a Hispanic Remodeling Contractor was getting out of his truck to make his way in.

I caught his attention and we wound up talking outside for about 20-30 minutes and sharing business cards.

It just so happened, that he was a very bright contractor who despised illegal labor and the proliferation of untrained immigrants into the trades as much as the next guy yo meet on the forums.

So, time ran short, but I intend on contacting him again and see if I can set up a short coffee or lunch meeting with him too.

Eventually, what I will wind up doing, is creating a cross-referral circle of trusted contractor associates, where we can each supply our customers with list, or actually a professionally printed pamphlet which describes each of the trades listed, along with some consumer advice and relative tips, which can be left as a leave behind to benefit the other members in the circle.

Additionally, statistics state, that consumers who do one type of remodeling project are more likely to do something else in the near future, economic times considering.....

So, all of the generated leads could be compiled into a local direct mail demographic list of available know consumers to create a shared data base from.

What are you guys doing to improve this type of free lead generation potential?

Ed
In Jax they have "the big six" 6 seperate trades started networking and just formed a co-op of sorts and now advertise as such. For your plumbing needs call______ for ac_______ and so on.

Tried doing it several years back when I tried being a sub didn't pan out. I handed out other guys cards NONE in return.:sad:

Ironic thing is the plumber of "the big six" was one of the guys I tried networking with early on.

He started with one box truck and a service truck himelf and 2 helpers. The same GC used him and me. oh well.:blink:

·
Banned
669 Posts
Does anyone belong to BMI?

I went to one of their meetings (at a home town buffet) but didn't wanna commit to a once every week meeting.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts