Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm paying someone $40 / quarter for hosting and periodic "service". Based on what I've read in various other threads it looks like I'm getting _ _ c_ _d (rhymes with duct).
Do you maintain your own web site(s)? Do you need to be a computer wiz or otherwise learn some kind of programming language to do it?
I think I'd like to be able to change a graphic, edit text, insert an image, add a page or make some other kind of change without chasing my web guy down and then waiting a couple days until he got around to it - I'll take the cost savings too. How you do that?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
40/3 = 13.33 / month. That's not bad.. most decent hosts are 9.95-19.95 / mo.
Not sure what "service" they do - if you're at the 9.95 /mo that's less than 4/mo for the "service".
I do maintain 3 of my own websites - I don't think you need to be a computer wiz to do the maintenance on the site itself - but some experience will be required if you need to maintain the server. You'll need access to your account - probably through cpanel or exim depending on your hosting (I recommend cpanel over exim though). You can then download the files through cpanel or an ftp client - edit the pages - reupload them. Not too difficult.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I was starting to learn HTML so I could do adjustments/additions to my website whenever I chose. Then I recalled that I'm a paperhanger and not a web designer, and decided to let a pro do it. I know how much I laugh when a homeowner decides to try to hang their own paper and botches it. So I pay the pro for what they are qualified to do, and call it a business expense. One less thing I have to worry about.

And your price seams reasonable to me. I don't think you are getting sc***ed (rhymes with prude). :D

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
$40 per quarter isn't the end of the world if they are doing periodic maintenance.

I maintain my own website but I have been designing websites since 1996 and I'm pretty damned good at it, if I can toot my own horn. What I see happen far too often, is contractors think they can do it themselves and slap up something shoddy and show it to the world. That then makes THEM and THEIR COMPANY look shoddy.

I highly suggest everyone read what PRO said above.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I agree with ProWallGuy on this one, plus... $40/quarter with maintenance is pretty good!

If you do it yourself people will probably be able to tell and it will look cheap and therefore make your company look cheap.

I run and maintian my own but I'm kinda of a computer guy so I'm the exception to the rule. (same with Grumpy and Hatchet)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts