Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hell when I was a kid I'd have been their #1 visitor, perhaps even a staff member. I've said hundreds of times I pray to god I don't have a child like me. I turned out OK but getting from birth to here was a rocky road.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
This is a sad subject that can travel in many ways, from both parents having to work, to those that don't have a clue as to how to raise kids, to drugies.
I raised mine the way that I was, lots of love and no BS. My kids both went to college without tats or piercings, did/are doing well and no drugs or alcohol. Draw the line and hold it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to think freedom of speech has been abused too often... this just confirms it.

this website needs to be shut down! too bad it wont happen :rolleyes:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
chardog said:
I used to think freedom of speech has been abused too often... this just confirms it.

this website needs to be shut down! too bad it wont happen :rolleyes:

I don't think the First Amendmant applies to advocating criminal acts.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Neil, we never defaced anyones property. If it was one of our neighbors, we would be enlisted to clean up the mess anyway. Lord help us if we ever got caught making the mess.

Dad was a WW II vet and took no crap from anybody including us kids. I see this attitute diminishing in couples as few as 10 yrs. younger than myself.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I have to say I blame the parents. My parents both worked. But we were brought up respecting other people and their property. And respecting life. I can't say I remember being taught to respect life it must just have come from the values shown us by our parents. It is a sad world we see. From simple things like this website to young men blowing themselves up. Life is precious and parents need to teach their children this and other values.
Stop this Time out crap and give them a little wack when they need to understand and don't want to. I'm not condoning beating your kids but we learned by the hand. It didn't come very often but when it did we knew we did wrong. Love, respect, honesty teach the basics and the rest comes naturally.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
MinConst said:
I have to say I blame the parents. My parents both worked. But we were brought up respecting other people and their property. And respecting life. I can't say I remember being taught to respect life it must just have come from the values shown us by our parents. It is a sad world we see. From simple things like this website to young men blowing themselves up. Life is precious and parents need to teach their children this and other values.
Stop this Time out crap and give them a little wack when they need to understand and don't want to. I'm not condoning beating your kids but we learned by the hand. It didn't come very often but when it did we knew we did wrong. Love, respect, honesty teach the basics and the rest comes naturally.
Paul, I 100% agree with everything you said, especially:
Stop this Time out crap and give them a little wack when they need to understand and don't want to

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Neil, we never defaced anyones property. If it was one of our neighbors, we would be enlisted to clean up the mess anyway. Lord help us if we ever got caught making the mess.
My oldest came home from a "sleep over" a few months ago laughing about how the hosting parent how taken them out (at 2AM) to "roll" someone's house with tp. While I hated to discourage my daughters openess, I couldn't abide the idea that there wouldn't be a consequence for being disrespectful of another's property. After hearing her out I called up a couple of the other dad's, whose kids had also been in on the raid, and we all marched their asses over to apologize and clean up the mess. The offended homeowners were very gracious about the whole thing but our kids were mortified (a good thing).
Bottom line is I told my kid not to expect me to 'look the other way' about stuff like that. I also told her that people get shot, or maimed by dogs, for a lot less than they were doing. My wife thinks I over reacted. What say ye?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kids today have no respect. That site looks like the information police find after a teen shooting rampage. You know how plans and threats were created and talked about. I had some stories to tell but I was brought up with very different values.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When we rolled houses, it was done in humor and we did *nothing* to damage the property. Most times, people knew who did it. If there's one product on the market that degrades quickly, its toilet paper. No, I couldn't laugh at my kids, only tell them to make good decisions. How the heck can anyone reprimand their child for something that they did? I didn't cause much trouble, as I was always caught. That sets the example for my kids when the time comes to explain it to them. And yes, Teetor, I'm probably 15 years your junior. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts