Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a book that told me to find "the talkers" in my industry - meaning, those people who are potential/existing customers that will get your business name out to the public through daily conversation. I am in the very beginning of starting my own contracting business. I have a very small customer base. That said, besides existing customers passing the word, where can I find other people to talk to and possibly spur some word-to-mouth transitions of my business? Any ideas? Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I would hazard a guess, in order for anyone to be motivated enough to pass along, via word-of-mouth, your name that would, or could, potentially result in securing more work, these types of people would have to be quite impressed by you in some regard. A casual meeting, I wouldn't think, would suffice.

You might consider, in my opinion, canvassing neighborhoods (with a professional looking brochure and business cards) to initially generate some satisfied customers; handing out business cards to various folks you encounter during the day, developing a website where as people can search for your services, and actually find you, even on a mobile device. It seems that if you can first establish yourself as a quality provider of service/product, then the best word of mouth marketing will soon follow.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you do based on your trade of GC/sub, but if you are doing highly visible work you need to find some really good photographers—one for routine jobs and a higher end pro. Have pictures taken at every stage of the project.

After each job is complete, create a disc to give your client. Don't skimp on photo quality! Make the photos so good that your clients will post them on Facebook and Pinterest. This will not only show your work better than you could ever do with average photo skills, you'll get referrals, and, you can use the images on your web site.

I'm a web guy. The one issue I run into the most with contractors is photo quality. Sure, I can and do make them look better with Photoshop, but contrary to common belief, Photoshop does not have a magic "Crappy Photo to Stellar Photo" tool. Have great photos taken and it goes a long way to boost your business.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I recently read a book that told me to find "the talkers" in my industry - meaning, those people who are potential/existing customers that will get your business name out to the public through daily conversation.. :thumbup:
Might have some suggestions if we knew your industry.... are you just a general, maybe tile, maybe other specialties.

Could be suppliers, possibly community based HOA type work, local realators.... talking to them probably won't besufficient... but getting some work and showing them what you can do can be a lot more valuable to the talkers in your industry.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Be careful what you wish for---Just joking,sort of.

Keep working hard and take those photos as suggested above--

In my experience some of your 'salesmen' 'talkers' will get you good leads----nice people have nice friends---

In other instances some of the 'salesmen' 'talkers' are irritating people and have irritating friends---and will waste countless hours of your life handing out your name to people you can not make a living servicing.

If you provide high quality work at a good honest price you will get plenty of referrals--

And you need good pictures to use as selling tools---
This is a "show me" business----

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Golfing, Bowling, VFW, Churches

I recently read a book that told me to find "the talkers" in my industry - meaning, those people who are potential/existing customers that will get your business name out to the public through daily conversation. I am in the very beginning of starting my own contracting business. I have a very small customer base. That said, besides existing customers passing the word, where can I find other people to talk to and possibly spur some word-to-mouth transitions of my business? Any ideas? Thanks. :thumbup:
More sales are made on golf courses than anywhere else (probably not really true). I know many businesses that never spent one penny advertising and these business owners get all their business from people they meet at golf courses, bars, the VFW bingo, fishing trips, and as members of the city council.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts