Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Do You install Ceramic

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Floorwizard 
#1 ·
I have a buddy who installs ceramic, we started throwing prices around and he "says" he's getting 3.50 sqft labor only, over concrete. I used to install in the 80s and still do a little from time to time, just did 600sqft. I make good money at 1.50 plus 1.00 if rock is needed. I can't believe he's getting 3.50 no rock. Anyone, does this sound right?

#2 ·
sounds about right. I pay 4.50 and I supply all the glues and rock. of course I live in Alaska and the rates are a bit higher, but still sounds about right. I bet if he was real good, he could charge more than that.

#3 ·
I've been quoted rates like that. It surprises me too, because I lay a mean tile, but it doesn't seem that hard to make it look good with the right equipment. And nothing beats the feel of solid rock under your feet. Plus ceramic done right lasts a heck-u-va lot longer than most of the other flooring that people slap down these days. Pyramids, monoliths, STONE henge. They've all got something in common. Rock stays, everything else rots away...

#4 ·
Simon said:
Rock stays, everything else rots away...

Including your bones if you walk on rock most your life :)

your absolutely right though...great product, just wanted to point out a down side.
Plus it is cold, and up here in AK it is cold enough...
lots of in floor heat up here with rock orders...it is just about mandatory.

#5 ·
I should have known! Yeah, up here (whoops) I mean down here in Michigan we get the chills on the floors too. Is that in-floor heating easy to install? I was thinking of doing it in my own place but haven't looked into it at all. Just curious. Rock rules, but does hurt the knees. Heh.

#6 ·
depends on the floor heat. There are so many kinds now, but the easiest are these sheet like heaters, and some companies can custom fit if you send them a floor plan, and then all you have to do is paint by numbers and lay the sheets down. The only hard part for mr would be the electrical side of it.
But just like anything, you need to know the ins and outs of install, because it's the small stuff that bites you in the rear if you do it wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.