Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How uncivil actions affect your wallet. Very Critical Subject!

For many years, I have been having a hard time dealing with customers, vendors, and employees. Recently, I was at the point where I could not talk to any customer on the phone without snapping. I was thinking that 90% of the people in this world are crazy, rude, and they sabotage everything that is sane.

The average person is rude and uncivil no less than 10 times every day and they don't even know this. The average person has no clue how much money even small uncivil actions cost them. I just read a book and it tells about how the uncivil actions of CEO's caused companies to go from top Fortune companies to bankruptcy and how bankrupt companies turned into billion dollar companies by implementing training programs that teach employees to treat each other in a civil way.

It is very important to understand the dynamics and how uncivil actions affect your wallet. It is really interesting to see how the CEO of Home Depot cause the company's stock to plummet because he was rude to his employees. It is intesting to see how people on top with the power abuse the people below them, all the way down the chain, and see how this affects the bottom line of the company. Learning about being civil includes building teams that work well together. It includes include items in the list below. Companies like Microsoft have huge multi-level programs for training employees to be civil and many companies do extensive research on an employee's civil habits before they are hired.

In just a few weeks, I believe this book has change the way I treat people so much people think I am not the same person. After reading this book, I realized that most people are rude. I realized how my employees were sabotaging other employees and now I am making my employees better team players. For the past few weeks, I have been treating everyone I come in contact with much nicer because this book made me realize that most people are rude and I have not been responsing with uncivil actions.

Better Workplace
These problems seem minor, but are consequential.
Abuse of power
Talking down to others

Not listening

Spreading rumors about employees

Not saying ‘please’ or ‘thank you’

Showing up late

Being snippy

Deameaning or derogatory remarks

Withholding information

Taking easy or more profitable tasks while leaving difficult and less profitable tasks for others

Failure to return phone calls

Leaving a mess for others to clean up

Shutting someone out

Paying little interest or showing little interest in someone’s opinions

Acting irritated when someone asks for a favor

Avoiding someone

Taking resources someone else needs

Throwing temper tantrums.

Interrupting conversation

Talking loud in common areas

Not introducing a newcomer

Inconsiderate

Tactless

Insensitive

Uncaring

Rude

Ignoring contributions

Thoughtless attempt to be funny

Body language and snide comments

Rolling eyes when you don’t agree.

Shouting out your opinion at a meeting to sway others.

What you are not going to do.

Passing jobs without explanations.

Passing jobs without finding a replacement nor without telling dispatcher

It doesn’t apply to me attitude

Following instructions

Statements regarding matters that are not your concern

Asking about matters that are not your concern.

I've read well over 100 self-help books, went to a Michael Gerber seminar, read his E-Myth books, and I thought I had learned some really important stuff until I read this book. I believe this book will make like for fun and your business more profitable.

The name of the book is 'The Cost Of Bad Behavior'. There are many examples of well-known companies that are fun and interesting to read about.

I've had only two company meetings with my employees after reading this book and there was major changes in their attitudes, for the better, in less than a few minutes. We talked about the items in the list, talked about how we can improve our lives by treating each other with respect and telling and helping each other when they see an uncivil action. We started working heavily on sabotage issues where employees were selfish and only cared about their fat pay checks. Now, employees are starting to see how being civil to people and how helping them will benefit them and the entire company. I feel we are at the beginning of something that is going to be great. By reading this book, I believe we are going to become a company that is more fun, more profitable, easier to manage, and more desirable by applicants.

This book helped me to look in the mirror and now I have a clear agenda with a more-promising future. This book helped me to realize that most people are rude. Not me! At least, not any more! By understanding how many people are uncivil and the affects, the rude actions of other people don't bother me any more. Now, I ignore rude actions, nothing bothers me, and I'm not prone to being uncivil to other people. Maybe, because my understanding has made me more apathetic. I'm that positive!

This book also talks about making sure your cusotmers have a 'good customer experience'. This is very critical because a 'bad customer experience' is the number one reason customers will not return. We discuss ways to give our customers a good customer experience at all out meetings. The employees get fairly excited because now they are part of a team that has a mission.

Also, I think this book gave me the knowledge I need and key to writing a good Mission Statement. I went went to many seminars and read a lot of books where Mission Statements were discussed and I never believed in writing a Mission Statement because they seemed stupid. This book has made me think different and helped me find the the statements I will write specifically for my company. These statements are going to be the commandments that employees will follow and the employees will be able to see their reasoning and how the statements affect the entire company and their wallets.

About one-fourth of the book discusses the reason uncivil actions cause most employees to quit their jobs and the cost to replace these employees. The book discusses how they implement programs where even the top CEO's are rated by employees and are fired for being uncivil. After reading this book you will have some good ideas to retain your employees.

I hope you get this book as soon as possible and write some posts with your thoughts.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
If you are going off on all of the people you talk to, ever think it is you that have the problem and not the whole world around you?

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is not that simple

If you are going off on all of the people you talk to, ever think it is you that have the problem and not the whole world around you?
You are half right. I had a problem with being uncivil to people and am working on the problem. While I will admit my own personal problems, most of the reason I have a difficult time dealing with people is because they are rude. Customers call on the phone and they are rude in a thousand ways. I had a company deliver furnaces to my office and the driver was swearing at me because his boss gave him the wrong address. I went to a restaurant, asked for a coke with my meal three times, and the waitress told me she heard me the first time. Still, she never brought me a coke.

This subject is not about painting a picture of a horrible world. It is about seeing, understanding, and making life better for ourselves and employees. We can't change the world, but we can change ourselves by understanding.

As I read this book, I was amazed to see that the whole world is full of uncivil people. Most people are uncivil to each other in a major way and you won't understand the cause and effect unless you read this book.

You cannot sum up this book with a few words like people should be polite to each other. This subject is very broad and wide.

I am surprised that the title of the book is 'The Cost Of Bad Behavior' and the book uses mostly the word 'uncivil'. I think the words 'The Cost Of Bad Behavior' fit the subject much better.

I think this book changed my attitude to be 1000 times better. I look at people in a different way, treat them better, am working to make them better team players, create a better workplace, and have a better bottom line.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A CEO's bad attitude caused those companies to collapse? Sure it wasn't something else? Kinda' fishy if you ask me.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
wow pcp, that's a lot of info. in my neck of the woods, I come in contact with some unprofessional people-it can be hypothesized that it's the environment they are in or that they allow the negative environment to flourish (i.e. a crappy office versus a happy office). As for businesses that have been rude to me (on the phone), I either do not return and try to make it know the reason or in one instance go directly to a principle of the company (liked the company's service but still made it known re: the rudeness issue).

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is not a popular subject, by very important for business.

wow pcp, that's a lot of info. in my neck of the woods, I come in contact with some unprofessional people-it can be hypothesized that it's the environment they are in or that they allow the negative environment to flourish (i.e. a crappy office versus a happy office). As for businesses that have been rude to me (on the phone), I either do not return and try to make it know the reason or in one instance go directly to a principle of the company (liked the company's service but still made it known re: the rudeness issue).
This is a tough subject and I am not being cynical. This subject is to get a better awareness and understanding of the cost and effect of being uncivil, how to retain your employees longer, how to have a happier life, and how to earn more profit. highly recommend the book 'The Cost Of Bad Behavior' for people interested in self-improvement and business-improvement (if that is a word).

You would be amazed if you could see the improvement in my employee's attitudes in just a few days. I would not be writing these posts if it were not for the huge improvements that a few minutes can make.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would think most of your points would be sh*t you'd learn by 5th grade. Why do you feel the need to read so many self-help books?

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I agree to a certain point. I'm sure it's a very interesting read....I'm not touchy feely and I never will be, but I do treat everyone respectfully, or at least professionally.

If everyone knew or could even grasp what acting professional meant we'd avoid a lot of BS.

The military is the most efficient personell machine IMO. I never served in the military (though I'm from a military family...Granddad retired USAF colonel, brother 1st LT. USMC)...There's a chain of command that is enforced, code of conduct, and the rules don't bend for anyone. The military is an extreme example but I believe a lot is to said about their idea of acting professionally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When my son was born 15 years ago, I was faced with the horror of bringing him up in a world full of these "uncivil" individuals. I came to the conclusion that my goal was to raise him to be one of the "good guys." To this day, I live my life realizing that I can never be like so many others who take advantage of and mistreat other members of thier society. I feel that I am one of the "good guys" and when I run into the contrary, it reasures me that my good-natured, optimistic personality is a virtue in this world, and, thus, encourages me to continue down that path. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheesy, but whatcha gonna do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts