Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys not like pella windows and doors. I have never heard you say anything about them??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
747 said:
Do you guys not like pella windows and doors. I have never heard you say anything about them??? :rolleyes:
I have used Pella frequently. Price is a big factor with a lot of my clients. Have you looked at the Paradigm products?

2b2s

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
When my father was a builder many decades ago, the 'Pella' sticker on the windows of a new house was akin to a Cadillac emblem on your car. Nowadays, I think that the brand is somewhat diluted due to the fact that they sell certain styles of that brand in the big box stores. Some of the sweetest windows and doors I've seen in new construction in recent times have been brands that I've never heard of before.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like there new designer series for 2005. Where they offer 25 different color shades and blinds that can be mounted in between two paines of glass. I think it looks awesome. Does any one have any imput on this? :rolleyes: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The pull cords that operate them will suffer UV breakdown just the same as interior treatments. I would expect about 10 yrs. from them in temperate climes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
The pull cords that operate them will suffer UV breakdown just the same as interior treatments. I would expect about 10 yrs. from them in temperate climes.
The Pella 2005 Designer Series does not have pull cords as you state; please do some research before talking negatively about anyone's products...and to think that you are a moderator.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
sales manager said:
The Pella 2005 Designer Series does not have pull cords as you state; please do some research before talking negatively about anyone's products...and to think that you are a moderator.
I installed hundreds of Pella's in the 80's nd 90's and hated them. I installed one Pella two years ago. A single hung with that friction knot from Lowes. What Iowa farm boy engineered that piece of crap?? It fell apart within a year but after a trip to Lowes I was able to get the friction knot back in place. I don't think it will last ten years. K2

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow i posted that a long time ago. Actually if i was building a new house i would go with Pella's Architect Series. They have some sweet looking windows in that series for new construction.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
747 said:
wow i posted that a long time ago. Actually if i was building a new house i would go with Pella's Architect Series. They have some sweet looking windows in that series for new construction.
Sweet looking is ok but i would look for easy installation, good operation, and long term functionality. In the end with Pella we required that they sell their "approved" installers with their windows or, they approve the installation, in writing, before the drywall. Life got easier and we didn't have to listen to any cry babying. Oh and like every other window company around here, they had to send two delivery guys in case nobody was on site when they showed up.

·
Banned
139 Posts
747 said:
I like there new designer series for 2005. Where they offer 25 different color shades and blinds that can be mounted in between two paines of glass. I think it looks awesome. Does any one have any imput on this? :rolleyes: :Thumbs:
If you intend to purchase blinds or shades, then do it when you order the windows and not after their delivery. When I Installed my designer series, I decided to order the shades. But when I found out that they cost about 1/3 the cost of the window (double hung designer series) then I rejected the idea of having them installed even by myself. You might want to compare the "before and after" costs. Nowadays, the cost for blinds and shades are outragious. Let us know the cost for blinds or shades in a designer series window if you order them with the windows. My guess is that you will only save a few bucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Over here, Pella is one of top of line windows years back, and still good if ya wana spend the money. But here in michigain the best for the money for new and old houses has got to be Anderson windows.
I do stand along side them and when the home owener asks me what would I install in my home if the cost was not a matter, I will tell them Anderson.
Just my thoughts.

·
unlicensed hack
1,087 Posts
I just happen to be...

one of those "approved" installers in my area for Pella. I have installed 1,000's of Anderson's and thought you always had to "tweak" the window to get it LPS (level, plumb, square). A few years ago I had some odd shaped & sized window replacements to do, went to Anderson but they could not accomodate my sizes. Checked with Pella (my first experience) and they met every size & shape I needed. I then started using more & more because of the wide range of sizes & styles. On the very first set I installed, I noticed that I did not have to "tweak" them like the Andersons. They were built so rigid and dead on, they just kind of fell into LPS. As far as price goes, I will agree (spendy). About twice a year I get a survey to fill out, my only complaint is that I have a hard time selling because of price. Windows are like Chevy's -- You can buy a Malibu and get an OK car for a low price or you can buy an Impala and get a nice car for a little more. Everyone has their favorites (Cevy, Ford, Dodge), but for me, I'm sold on Pella for variety, quality, & service. I have not had any luck with service reps from Anderson. Pella service reps have always been prompt & taken care of any problems for me. Most of the time I don't even know a problem has been resolved, because they just handle it on their own. I have had to call the HO's on occasion to see if everything was up to par, they tell me everything has been taken care of and totally satisfied with the work. I may sound like I'm trying to sell Pella's here, but this has been my experience. ---------- Thought for the day: Give a pig and a boy everything they want and you'll get a good pig and a bad boy.:jester:

·
Registered
47 Posts
maj; Pella is on the top of the line. I was on a job and was talking with an installer and he was telling me that all the caseing and alum. trim was to be done there way and he had classes to show him there style for triming and that was how it had to be done.
You can always tell a Pella window from itself and from the trim, and over here they eaven got there own colors for trim that ya cant get from our building supliy stores.
I do like pella but do still favor Anderson, realy when ya have to go with wood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts