Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is chimney season around here (they always wait until its damn cold out) and I have to do a decent sized teardown and rebuild on a brick chimney next week.

The roofer is coming in a month or two behind me and I need to call him to figure out a plan.

I am hesitant to do any step flashing though since they may end up tearing off the sheathing and it would be a pain for them, they may have to remove the flashing anyway.

I really don't want super nice new flashing getting banged up and bent out of shape by the roofing crew, but I also don't want any leaks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I usually cut the old 4" above roof line tear down below rebuild and flash leaving extra on the roof. roofers can tie it all together after. old flashing works as a sub flash and you get proper flashing heights on the new chimney

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
I really don't want super nice new flashing getting banged up and bent out of shape by the roofing crew, but I also don't want any leaks.
It would seem senseless to work the new flashing into the old roof if the roof is to be replaced immediately.

I would seem impossible to properly flash it without regard to the positioning of the roofing material.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I usually use the old flashing as the step flashing if it has a few centuries of roof tar on it. If I am able to remove it without damage then I will and you have to wiggle in some step flashing. I leave a 2" lip on the bottom of my lead, I hate it when its cut flush.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could probably just do that, build from the existing flashing up and let the roofers put the new stuff on.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You can't put your trust in someone else who is (maybe) coming a month from now. You need to make it right when your job is done. Typically I don't touch the step flashing and and install new "wall" flashing.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I have gotten away from installing flashing many years ago. Do not need the call at 2:eek:o A.M "I have a leak near my chimney you fixed 7 years ago"
Do not build crickets either. I tell the customer all this up front before any work is done. Matter of fact, I do not just tell them it is writing.

To quote Ebeneezer Scrouge from Dickens' book A Christmas Carol "It is enough for a man to know his own business without interfering in the business of others,and mine occupies me constantly,good day gentlemen"

·
Registered
272 Posts
I never screw with the existing except to make it as water tight as possible. If we're doing a through flash then my tin guy installs the steps loose so the roofers can work their magic and not hiss and *****. It's been known to happen mind you.

D.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the roofer today.

He told me to go ahead and do what I needed to make it water tight for now and when he got there he would either go right over it or tear it off and do it to match as he roofed.

I will probably leave the existing tin flashing and tar and just repair it as needed. I want to make sure it stays waterproof through winter for them, even it means the roofer has to redo it.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
So you figure that everytime a chimney gets rebuilt a roofer gets called to come in for 1/2 hr to reflash?

You got it ! And guess what ? I know plenty of roofers,will not even recommend one. The older I get the more inclined to get out of some HO's cross hairs. " But he is the guy you recommended,and now he is out of business so you are responsible " I do not need those kind of conversations one bit. And all for what,to "try" to save the HO a couple of bucks,or put a few more bucks in my blue genes ?

IMHO there is absolutely no percentage in it.I look at it strictly from a risk / reward ratio. I see a minuscule possibility for gain and a huge chance for problems.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Rebuilding a chimney does not mean the roof leaked. If it didnt leak just trim the old lead and use it like it is, go over it with new lead. In 2,5, or 10 years when the roofer re does the roof they can strip off the old stuff and make it right. I hardly ever have to address the step flashing on a chimney re do from the roof line up. I think ive re built maybe 25 this season, fiddled with some corners on one chimney.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Huh? I have no problem reflashing a chimney I have just rebuilt. If it is a new chimney and the shingles or steel haven't even been put on yet, then I will do a temporary flashing and leave the real flashing to the roofers, but in a rebuild situation, i leave the step flashing alone and either re-use the existing lashing or insatall new wall flashing either the same as it was or maybe better if i feel the old wasn't up to the task. I also do all the caulking. It''s the chimney I built so...my job...my issue to deal with.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Check this article out. Over the years JLC has ran many articles on flashing chimneys. On initial looks this job appears real thorough. It may work just fine on this massive chimney however,the flashing completely destroys the bond of the masonry below it. If this was used for a small 16"x 16" chimney I would be scared a good stiff wind would blow it over.

http://www.jlconline.com/brake/flashing-a-chimney-with-soldered-copper.aspx#articlecomments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I really appreciate people applying space age technology to a trade that is thousands of years old, but most of us need to turn a profit.

Yeah I can see some chimneys having an issue with that flashing job. Although we have had copper guys come in and pan flash chimneys from time to time. That is a sight to see, weeps on the flues and everything :)

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
That's ridiculous, that looks totally and absoutely unnesccessary...beyond unessessary. Makes me think of that thread from a year or so ago about whether people think that overdoing things is always the right way to go. i was astead fast no to that question.

Step flashing and regular wall flashing tucked 1/2" into a joint or even tapconed into a joint and heavily caulked and i have never had a call back. i don't do as many chimney's as JBM but i do an average of 5 a year x 10 years in business (I can only think of a handful of chimneys that I haven't torn down to the roofline so just past the existing flashing) is 50 chimneys and no call backs...I'll keep on keeping on, I've seen some "roofers" flashing that relies a little too much on caulking...no thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts