Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you put an emphasis on the way you dress when meeting a potential client. Do you dress up or down? Do you think it matters? I’m watching a pre academy awards show and it seems wearing the wrong outfit will make or break a glamorous entry. Have any of you dressed like a chicken or a human billboard to promote your business? :( Do you stay away from wearing jewelry? How about a certain cologne. A different hairstyle.

Did you change your appearance in any way in order to dress for success?

I’m a painter and around my area it doesn’t much matter. It almost seems the poorer you look the better your chances of getting work. Have you ever seen a guy bid a job with his a$$ crack showing? I have. :rolleyes: If I dressed like a chicken or a billboard I’d get shot at. I keep cologne and breath spray in the truck, and wear clean whites when meeting clients. That’s about it. I’m thinking about getting my hair styled differently. I’ve never had that done.

By the way I’m enjoying reading this board. It looks like an informative, fun place.

*That was a suck up.* :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
½WayFarted said:
I’m watching a pre academy awards show
What's that? You mean, like Orange County Choppers?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
½WayFarted said:
Have any of you dressed like a chicken or a human billboard to promote your business?
You mean to tell me there are people who are promoting their contracting business and not dressing up like a chicken?

Son-of-a!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cdac said:
I always conduct my consultations after work covered head to toe in sawdust and reeking of farts and bad breath...
I remember a day long ago. Back when I was a drunk. I crapped myself in front of a homeowner. She didn’t know it but gawd it was awkward. It was a juicy pizza and gallon of wine squirt that ran down my leg. ;)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
1/2Way, I think that you hijacked your own topic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m having trouble accessing the board tonight.

Hi Ya Magnum. I’m in Frederick County. Close to Woodsboro. I’ve been here 3 years after a move from Orlando. I was born and raised in Maryland and hated Orlando with a passion. To many bad memories. I needed to get back home to the mountains and change of seasons.

I’m out in the country you could say. The town of Woodsboro folds up at 7pm. I can go outside and gaze at the stars. It’s quit and very peaceful. I can see clearly now.

Looks like snow tomorrow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
YOu have to dress to what the customer may expect, but even better dress like the people thy go to for advice. If you are goinf to meet a farmer, but you are dressed in a 3 piece suit, you'll have a hard time finding common ground.

Personally I almost always wear a pair of khakis and I always wear a 3 button collared shirt with company logo. I keep chewing gum and cologne in the truck. I never spray cologne RIGHT before a meeting because then it will be over powering. I always chew a piece of gum before pulling up to the customers house and I spit it in my trash can before exiting my truck so I don't spit it on their lawn or something.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I work with high end clients, so I have to be spiffy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts