Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I almost always answer hello, this is Lavrans (eponymous company). If I don't recognize the number I might answer Lavrans Mathiesen Woodworking. Rare though.

Only cell phone, no land lines. Annoying, costly and redundant at the moment. Although, it's been tempting to get a land line and get rid of the cell phone...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't answer the phone during the day. Of course some of the replies in this thread would depend on what you do for work.
I return calls early evening . If I answered a call for new work during the day I would have to call back anyway.
Even if I am home I don't answer.
I'll take a minute or 2 and grab a water/coffee/beer and blow my big nose, clear my throat, grab my notebook, and give a possible custumer my undivided attention when I call back.
I am good at work,not sales

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
I answer 'Tiling Solutions'. I don't say my name though. Mainly because being a woman, most people would think I'm the secretary :mad:

If they say 'id like to get an estimate, etc. I say 'I'm the owner and installer, how can i help you?"

Now if I suspect it's a freaken telemarketer, I don't mind playing the secretary. LOL! :w00t:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I forgot to put this in the thread..
About 20 yrs ago I was at my bosses house while we watched the weather on the TV in the AM...deciding what to do for work that day...
phone rings... "YEAH" You wan't do do what? Where are you? You're way the ***** out there.. why don't you call (can't rememberthename) or one of them *****ing guys!"
His yellow page add said something like "free and friendly estimates given cheerfully!".......

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I allways answer the phone professionally. So much so that my friends think they have called the wrong # if I look at the caller ID and just say hello.
Its a personal pet peeve of mine when I call a buisness and just get "hello" My mom used to smack us for not answering Hello this is Jim. Also with the way technoligy is out here these days sometimes the first thing you say gets cut off so if you just say "hello" the caller may not hear it and not know if you've actually picked up.
Also ditched the land line at home and office phone forwards to my cell.(pretty much a one man operation)
Cheers Jim

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I always answer "Frankawitz Custom Painting & Plastering Repairs" Yeah I know that's a mouth full, the thing that pisses me off is the Moron who calls me 5 to 6 times every day and says nothing:rolleyes: I guess my competition has more time on their hands so they call my phone just to hear my voice:thumbsup:
as for cell phone I aint got time to talk!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The cell I usually answer "Southern General Contractors" if its a number I don't recognize. More often than not it's just an abbreviated version "Southern".
The office phone is also the home phone. With two teens and a six y/o in the house there is no telling how what kind of answer there. I have heard many. I would settle for hello instead of some of them. :sad:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I almost always say "Hello, this is Kent"

I think too much at the beginning of the conversation and you may risk the other person forgetting your name right away. As in they might remember your company name, but not your name.

In the rare, rare occasion that I pick up the phone when it says "caller unknown" I usually just say "hello"

or like this

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My other phone etiquite pet peeve is the caller not introducing themselves and just launching into their first question.

Example I'll answer the phone

GMI, Jim Speaking" or longer version and what I get back is something like

"What is your fax #?" or "Where are you located" or "do you sell _______"

If they are asking for the fax # I allways ask who they are and why they want the fax #. Sometimes its potential buisness as the local gov procurement is still stuck in the 80's (no email) but usually its someone wanting a donation or something.

If its something else I try to politely back them up a bit and ask who's calling and what we can do for them. Generaly its someone from general public looking for something we either dont provide or would not sell to them anyway(wholesale and service only)

OK off the soapbox:thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow that was some good response. To expand on this topic, I have also talked to business that make me feel like I am a burden on them for calling.

My old railing supplier went out of business so I had to search for another. The first place I called talked down to me and acted like I was an idiot. Needless to say I moved on to the next supplier.

Mark

21 - 40 of 46 Posts