Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accept credit cards but unfortunately the fees do add up at end of the month. However, I don't want to give it up since many of my customers like to pay with a credit card.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I accept credit cards but unfortunately the fees do add up at end of the month. However, I don't want to give it up since many of my customers like to pay with a credit card.
I accept them but i let them know there's a up charge. I explain to them that to keep estimates low i don't include the % of CC transactions as most people don't pay by card. If you have that many customers paying with card though i would include that into your estimate or price and even if they don't pay by card you make a little extra on the job that way.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I raised my prices by $4 per hour when I started accepting credit cards earlier this year..i also raised my markup on small parts from 200% to 300% to cover it....

about 33% of my homeowner service calls are now credit card

all costs for a business are paid for by the customer.....that 3% shouldn't come out of your pocket

if your doing small jobs (under $1,000) I think credit cards are expected by homeowners

I only acccept them on the small jobs (under $1,500)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I do. It's been added in as a cost of business.
If Someone has a large project and ask if there is a cash discount I will knock 2% off the total bill at the end.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Yes. Only had a few people use the service but we do offer it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Cash and checks only for me.
just be aware there may be some customers who hire you not knowing your cash/check and may not use you again or refer you because you don't take credit card....in todays world everyone accepts credit card

it took me 7 years to realize this

your not going to lose the 1st job over it, but you most likely are losing repeat business from people who want painting, but cant afford it yet

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the laws in your state. In Maine it is illegal to charge a credit card transaction fee. However, you are allowed to give a cash discount and you can have the fees figured into your normal pricing.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Check the laws in your state. In Maine it is illegal to charge a credit card transaction fee. However, you are allowed to give a cash discount and you can have the fees figured into your normal pricing.
It's legal to set minimum amounts for credit card purchases and, as of last year, it's legal to charge for the transaction fee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that might be true in your state, but not here. That's why I said you need to check your state laws. In Maine it is illegal to charge a transaction fee unless you are a municipality.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
that might be true in your state, but not here. That's why I said you need to check your state laws. In Maine it is illegal to charge a transaction fee unless you are a municipality.
Who comes right out and puts on the invoice a transaction fee for using a credit card, just build it into the cost, perfectly legal.

·
New York City
289 Posts
I think most cards will permit you to take a cash advance, so If you don't accept cc's and a customer wants to use one, they could get the cash advance.
not sure if there is a different interest rate.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts